Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Hit the fawning, lambing and calving areas in your favorite hunting area. Help reduce the predation on the little ones. Good luck and help take out some bears...

So..... bear hunting....

can’t wait till May.

bumping this thread to the top

Has anyone near the south coast had success in early April?
    Being cooped up in the house, I'm getting anxious to get out and see if they're out and about in some of the warmer areas down here. Going to start looking in some river valleys around Squamish/Pemeberton, if they're decently thawed out? Maybe up the Coquihalla around Murray Lake?

I’m very tempted also but I’m not to sure about the snow line. I’m close to Squamish but I’m sure you still won’t be able to drive in to far. I have a trip planned in may but I think I’ll get out of the house this month looking for bear

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Has anyone near the south coast had success in early April?
    Being cooped up in the house, I'm getting anxious to get out and see if they're out and about in some of the warmer areas down here. Going to start looking in some river valleys around Squamish/Pemeberton, if they're decently thawed out? Maybe up the Coquihalla around Murray Lake?
    Might catch an early wanderer down low in the squamish valley but they're much more spooky in there, in my experience the pemby area is significantly better but early april is still quite a bit too early.

Some of you probably caught this already but I'll drop it here one more time just in case anyone needs a bit of extra motivation...I also did my best to include some good examples of spring bear sign in this video so hopefully it helps a new bear hunter or two.

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

I’m excited for the spring bear season ! Just hope the rifle range opens up before hand ,oh I guess there’s always a place in the woods to check it out ,but nothing close .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I’m excited for the spring bear season ! Just hope the rifle range opens up before hand ,oh I guess there’s always a place in the woods to check it out ,but nothing close .
    Arctic Lake
    where are you at? I know a few places

I’m in Maple Ridge . I think up Harrison way is closed to shooting , not hunting , just shooting . Maybe I take a trip up the canyon or something .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Hmm mm some great insights guys..completely agree with most all..as for skunk cabbage used early as it helps bears remove fecal plugs over wintering.really strongly used by both grizzlies and black bears..but again usually earlier.
    yes bears seen in one spot..are there for feed..be there tomorrow same place same time.
    Walk fence lines to private property that have fields of feed. Find the weak point..broken post..broken strand..barbed wire will show bear hair from bears going under or through fence to feed...pinch point to set up on...my prettiest bear was harvested this way..beauty blond with chocolate color legs.
    I agree with the idea of go where most other hunters won't. .I take my to set up in remote location..then use snowmobile trails to access deactivated roads heading usually up mountains.
    Once 15 km s back where I can view 3 or four cut blocks I sit drink coffee and watch.
    I bought a beekeepers headset that zips open at neck..it's mosquito proof and removes movement of hands.
    I use head mask and camo and gloves..your face and hands shine..movement is easily seen from considerable distance.
    One of our members was M no bears..helped him couple years ago become M 1 bear then M 2 bears..next year helped him become M 3 bears....then M 4 bears..lol
    IF situation allows I have a couple of hunters I'm hoping to mentor in May before fly fishing starts in earnest.
    Cheers
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I’m in Maple Ridge . I think up Harrison way is closed to shooting , not hunting , just shooting . Maybe I take a trip up the canyon or something .
    Arctic Lake
    Oh ok Nvm I’m on Vancouver island