Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Coaster First BC Hunt!!!

East Coaster First BC Hunt!!!

Hey Bii’s

Moved to BC in 2018 but am going on my first hunt in May for bear. I’m looking to do a camp/backpack hunt and I’ve found (through iHunter) an area in region 3-32 that I’d really like to try out.
    I have a few questions:

what is the weather normally like in the mountains/hills north of Lilooet in mid May?

I’ve heard there’s bear all over, so I would assume it’s a fine are you try out?

If you guys have any tips for a maritimer on their first BC backcountry hunt lemme have it!

Thanks!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: East Coaster First BC Hunt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philns14 View Post
    Hey Bii’s

Moved to BC in 2018 but am going on my first hunt in May for bear. I’m looking to do a camp/backpack hunt and I’ve found (through iHunter) an area in region 3-32 that I’d really like to try out.
    I have a few questions:

what is the weather normally like in the mountains/hills north of Lilooet in mid May?

I’ve heard there’s bear all over, so I would assume it’s a fine are you try out?

If you guys have any tips for a maritimer on their first BC backcountry hunt lemme have it!

Thanks!!
    don't worry about weather and study bear anatomy and shot placement you don’t want to f**k that up your on your first bear it ain’t no fun.
    good luck
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Not my first bear hunt, just my first BC hunt. Thanks for the info though buddy.

Welcome, ive got little to offer other than a welcome to the site ��

Just a heads-up.

Hunting methodology for bear in BC is fair chase- spot and stalk. Baiting is not permitted.

I don't know what part of the east coast you are from, but I do recall that baiting of bears is allowed in other provinces. I am originally from NB and baiting was a common practice there when I lived there.

Have fun.
    Semper in excretum altum

Welcome! That is such a crazy area as far as weather goes in May. It really could hit high 20's in the day or it could be really mild. It could be 10 degrees at night, or it could freeze. In short, be prepared for extremes. Dress in layers. Be very prepared for drastic weather, poor visibility etc. The mountains there are no joke. But you're right, there's a few bears around
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Weather could be anything.

One thing I will advise is that if you are climbing up a mountain road and start to hit snow, turn around and go back down. If you keep going and decide later to turn back on a narrow snow covered road with no wide spot, or even a freshly melted exposed road, both places will be slippery and you could get stuck or worse.

The bears will be lower down where the ground is freshly exposed and sprouting new growth anyway.

If your ALLOWED to hunt in May there will be More HUNTERS then Bears there ! Popular MU ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 04-20-2020 at 06:18 AM.

I don't know at what altitude one hunts bear but the snowpack high up is massive this year (over 2 meters at only 1700m not far from that area for example). And even well into June a NOrth facing (shaded) logging road could have snow patches for a while. A tracked quad is only good machine in that terrain.

See lots of bears up carpenter lake in May. Be aware there are grizzlies in the area so don’t go shooting the wrong brand of bear.