Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Friend of mine gets a couple of bears a year uses the same tactic all the time. His wife drives, when they do see a bear she slows down he steps out she goes down the road a couple of kilometres parks. He just stands there and waits 20 to 30 minutes and the bear just about always comes back out to take a look.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    so it seems like the general consensus is that in April - early May you should be hunting bears in the late afternoon to evening?
    You can see them all day long all season long. But don't think you have to be up before daylight as last light is typically better than first light. I usually head out after work (5ish) for the evening and can still see bears all over.

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    seems to be trending towards a more spot n stalk hunt - anyone go about it differently? still hunting slowly through some areas, or a more ambush/blind setup with calls?

i'll be starting my deer scouting about bear season opener. will keep a tag handy
    If you can locate a bear trail I've had success sitting at first light. Seen a fair share walking the trail home to there beds. However they almost always scent you at around 40 yards. So definitely more challenging with a bow. Wind is a huge factor as they follow their nose. Bottom line is just get out there! I've discovered some of my favorite deer spots hunting bear in the spring. So even if you dont pull the trigger it's always a win.
    Goodluck to everyone that gets out.

-Sleep in. Early spring bears like getting up at first light about as much as you do. Not at all.
    -The better the weather, the better the hunt. Early season bears LOVE sunbathing.
    -If you see one while driving down the road, don't slam on the brakes. Keep driving for a little while, stop, park, wait 10 minutes and walk back. He'll be right where you first saw him.
    -If you are bow hunting, make sure you allocate plenty of time for recovery. They take a while to die and blood trails can be awful.
    -There is a great chance that a bear shot with a bow at last light will have to be recovered next morning.
    -First week of May up north is paradise. Great weather, no bugs and the only feed is road side.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Awesome video, just saw your 2019 spring bear video too!

Cheers!
    Hey thanks man! That was the bear that keeps on giving, still eating my way through him and just won a $750 cooler off that video!

Obviously I'm an outlier but I've seen more bears before noon than after, especially in June. If you're pretty confident in your bear hunting skills then I fully agree, sleep all morning. If someone has gone a couple years getting skunked so far or they're a new hunter on the other hand they probably want every opportunity they can get, in my experience seeing bears in the AM is certainly not as unheard of as I was once led to believe it is. That said don't burn yourself out and go back to camp early, evenings are definitely prime time!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Some great tips on this thread!! I'm so pumped to get out for my first spring bear hunt.
    I currently dont have a PAL so I will be chasing them with the bow. For those using bows, Do you use the same broadheads that you use for deer or something different?
    I noticed a few people mentioned difficulty in tracking a shot bear and was wondering if it would be better to use a mechanical broadhead to increase wound channel?
    Keep the tips and advice coming and thank you all that have contributed.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_G View Post
    I noticed a few people mentioned difficulty in tracking a shot bear and was wondering if it would be better to use a mechanical broadhead to increase wound channel?
    Yes. I shoot the widest cutting diameter mechanical I can get my hands on and I'm still generally on my hands and knees for the first 15-30 yards. First bear I shot with a 2" mechanical didn't leave one drop on the ground, their hides can act like sponges especially early spring. I'm sure I still would have killed the bear I shot last year with a 1" fixed blade but I'm fairly confident I wouldn't have found him. In my experience the places that are most conducive to hunting bears with a bow are also pretty damn thick and tough to track in to begin with...combine that with a last light shot, thick brush, nothing but a bow in hand plus minimal experience and you're in for a world of suck. I would recommend the Sevr 2.1 or a similar head, those ones are a bit spendy but in my opinion I would rather cheap out on my bow than my arrow system. Rocket hammerheads are good too but some people hate the jackknife mechanical style, I've had good luck with them though. Long story short they're a lot easier to find when the trail to them looks like this instead of one or two pin drops every 5 feet.

Also shooting them with a bow don't aim for where the X would be on a rhinehart 3D target, on most bear targets they should really move that X ring a good 4-6" back...I've hit the last rib and touched nothing but lung on a quartering away shot. If you get a chance it's a good idea to spend a few minutes looking at a 3D target and thinking about what spot you would want to aim for if it was standing at different angles, Ridgedale 3D is this sunday
    Last edited by 45freezer; 03-12-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Thank you for the above replies ! I ask questions so I can learn ! Thank You for sharing your knowledge , it is appreciate !
    I do realize that I also need to learn through my own experiences .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

This forum is awesome! I can’t get over the generosity of some of our members, time and knowledge.
    Thank you everyone!

Glass all day for fun hunt them seriously the last 2 hours of light. South facing slopes, river valleys, old logging roads overgrown with grass and clover. I personally love spot and stalk. I drive the quad up high get the glasses out and just watch for hours in the afternoon. Buy GOOD QUALITY BINOCULARS. You’re gonna be looking through them all day. Once I spot one in a cut I watch it for a while to determine size, age, sex etc. Big males are not afraid they have a swagger almost like a big man would strut. They will have big blocky heads with ears that appear small and almost look like they’re on the side of their heads. Sometimes they have a crease that runs down the middle of their heads. They will have low hanging bellies and legs that appear short and thick. They usually lumber slowly along feeding carelessly on grass, clover, and other goodies. Remember they don’t care because they’re the big dog. Small bears will be more easily shaken and run away faster. Small bears quite often look over there shoulder and look behind them to make sure they are safe. Look for pop can size poo (big bears). Also look for chewed grass and sedges, and broken small trees usually alder that line the logging roads. Follow tracks in the mud usually for every inch wide a track is the bear is 100 lbs ish. Look for them in small tidal flats and inlets as well. Use a predator call if you want an adrenaline packed hunt and be ready. Usually when I’m calling them I have a 12 gauge with slugs on my back. Any more info pm me I live to hunt bears. Also the 100% most important thing I learned last season make damn sure your gun is sighted in properly and that you’re comfortable with it. You don’t need a 375 H and H for black bear but you need to be accurate. I messed up a couple shots last season and it really made me rethink things. I got a new gun and spent a lot of time shooting good groups, and practicing my breathing and steady hand and shooting longer distance this last few months and I have never fealt better about an upcoming season.the last thing you want morally and for safety is an injured bear. Good luck and message me for more.