Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

found a pretty large swampy skunk cabbage filled area- tons of yellow skunk cabbage flowers popping up. What do you guys think about sneaking in there around mid day and hitting some squeals on my fawn distress call or setting down a bluetooth speaker and playing some sounds?

Bears are everywhere. Find some scat. Then find a vantage point sit and glass. They eventually will show. I’m a big fan of region 2. It’s thick and nasty but the animals are there and in surprisingly decent numbers if you spend the time to look. Find a small creek or stream and still hunt the area. Look for freshly nipped grass and dandelions. Wild strawberries are great in the spring too.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddust View Post
    found a pretty large swampy skunk cabbage filled area- tons of yellow skunk cabbage flowers popping up. What do you guys think about sneaking in there around mid day and hitting some squeals on my fawn distress call or setting down a bluetooth speaker and playing some sounds?
    Hmm I'm skunk cabbage real estate is wet..not good for bedding area usually..
    It's a very specific use.
    straight shooting
    Once fecal plug is expelled..bears metabolism kicks into overdrive. ..they are now literally starving..find green grass..you found bears.
    Srr

Skunk cabbage is great. Using any kind of recorded call for bears I’m pretty sure Is illegal. Legal for coyotes and wolves. Also I’d hold off on the fawn in distress call for another month and a bit. But a rabbit call could work.

I've heard somewhere else (probably on another forum on this group) that they're pretty much eating grass when they still have their fecal plug. I haven't seen any sign yet but I'm sure with everything greening up here I'll be bumping into some sign soon. I have a rabbit distress call too. Rayne, thanks for the heads up on the e-caller being illegal for bears.

No worries Golddust. Happy hunting! Things should be green in the next week or two. If you see a bear try the rabbit distress call just don’t be standing in the open. And be alert once you start using that call they can come in fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddust View Post
    I've heard somewhere else (probably on another forum on this group) that they're pretty much eating grass when they still have their fecal plug. I haven't seen any sign yet but I'm sure with everything greening up here I'll be bumping into some sign soon. I have a rabbit distress call too. Rayne, thanks for the heads up on the e-caller being illegal for bears.
    Hmmm skunk cabbage/ Inmature.fiddle heads remove that fecal plug..only so much grass can be consumed before they are packed solid...
    Straight shooting
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by granola_eater View Post
    Did you not get enough advice in this thread where you asked the same question and got replies from the best of the best on HBC?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...66#post2117366
    I got some great advice, a smaller amount focused on bear. As this was a bear specific thread I thought that there might some additional knowledge or different hunters clicking here that could help. Just trying to learn

Has anybody seen many areas around the Okanagan where most of the snow is gone? Took a drive over trinity Valley yesterday still quite a bit of snow up there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man668 View Post
    Has anybody seen many areas around the Okanagan where most of the snow is gone? Took a drive over trinity Valley yesterday still quite a bit of snow up there yet.
    Trinity isn’t the first place to melt. Winter is lingering this year but think low elevation south slopes. Riverside of Silver Hills, first bit of Harris, South aspect of South Fork etc.