Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fish for Alouette Lake bull trout

How to fish for Alouette Lake bull trout

I figure if the Kokanee aren't biting or bite so well that I limit out quickly, I would try for bull trout this Saturday. I have a little downrigger that I'm trying for the first time also on Saturday.
    With it still being quite early in the season, what would be the best way to try and target them. I have wedding bands, couple Dodgers, some flat fish, some big and small spoons, different bait as well.
    I am in a 12ft Jon boat with a 30lb trolling motor so I'll be staying near the south of the lake.

I am unable to find much information on these bull trout. Couple old threads on various forums which mostly debate whether there are lake trout in Alouette. I have no interest in that debate. Just want some help to try and hook up with some bulls.

Looking forward to the info. Always lots of good information from all you guys.

Ekul246

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to fish for Alouette Lake bull trout

look for flowing water and use bait.

Not specific to the lake but bull trout love to eat . Find the kokanee and they will be right below them . Good choices would be Lyman plugs or similar that imitate kokanee (5") black &white /silver , five of diamonds spoon , flasher with hoochie . 2.5 mph to 2.8mph . That's what works in most lakes . Other hot spots would be off points /structures

Few years back I had success on the far shore (looking from the launch) trolling up to the point where the lake kinda opens up and then back down south again. I was using a portable downrigger although I cant remember exactly what depth I was at, that portable only went down 50 ft or so I think I was probably down between 20-40? I think it was later in spring, maybe April that time, and I believe we were using Lyman plugs in blue/silver.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Not specific to the lake but bull trout love to eat . Find the kokanee and they will be right below them . Good choices would be Lyman plugs or similar that imitate kokanee (5") black &white /silver , five of diamonds spoon , flasher with hoochie . 2.5 mph to 2.8mph . That's what works in most lakes . Other hot spots would be off points /structures
    By flasher and hoochie do you mean my Kokanee set up with dodger and Kokanee hoochie? Do you think a 2"-3" flatfish would be too small? Trolled behind dodger?
    So I should fish maybe 5-10ft lower than where I get the Kokanee bites?
    Last edited by ekul246; 03-04-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    Few years back I had success on the far shore (looking from the launch) trolling up to the point where the lake kinda opens up and then back down south again. I was using a portable downrigger although I cant remember exactly what depth I was at, that portable only went down 50 ft or so I think I was probably down between 20-40? I think it was later in spring, maybe April that time, and I believe we were using Lyman plugs in blue/silver.
    Do you know what time of year that was?

I do have some 2/5oz spoons that are all 50/50 silver or gold and blue, or dark red and I forget what else.
    My Dodgers are just the small 3 5/16" dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Do you know what time of year that was?
    I believe it was early April? It wasn't a really memorable trip and I cant find a pic from that day so cant say 100% what the date was. I've also caught on other occasions quite a few rainbows on that lake trolling up the same shore, nothing big, but fun. I used to like going up there mid week in the spring when I could take a day off, few people.

Maps here may help you identify feeder creeks and ares you want to troll. https://www.anglersatlas.com/place/9...lake/free-maps
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Mepps Black Fury.
    Find a creek inlet and fish the seams deep between flowing water and lake water.

The local lake I fish I have caught all my bulls on that lure.
    Try various sizes.

Flowing water into the lake is where you want to be. If there is anything floating at the surface creating shade in the water, cast under it (like a log). Landed a nice 2’ bull trout with a simple wedding ring lure