Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fish for Alouette Lake bull trout

Re: How to fish for Alouette Lake bull trout

Read the regs guy. Bull trout Char release in Alouette lake 2-8.
    We can't keep bull trout here either.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    By flasher and hoochie do you mean my Kokanee set up with dodger and Kokanee hoochie? Do you think a 2"-3" flatfish would be too small? Trolled behind dodger?
    So I should fish maybe 5-10ft lower than where I get the Kokanee bites?
    No , I meant the 11" flasher and a 4 or 5 inch hoochie but maybe the bull trout are smaller in that lake? In these bigger interior lakes 3 to 20 lbers.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Read the regs guy. Bull trout Char release in Alouette lake 2-8.
    We can't keep bull trout here either.
    I am fully aware of this but I'd like to try and hook into one at least
    Last edited by ekul246; 03-05-2020 at 12:41 AM.

We catch them across from the boat launch all the way up to gold creek. We use downriggers and spoons. 60feet has always been a good depth.
    gold creek area we follow the contours of the shoal. We troll fairly slow. I catch them using salmon flashers and hootchies as well on other lakes but have not tried it in allouette but it should work there to. It’s been a while since I fished up there.
    dont be surprised if you catch large bull trout. I have caught a couple 15lb bulls in there
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    We catch them across from the boat launch all the way up to gold creek. We use downriggers and spoons. 60feet has always been a good depth.
    gold creek area we follow the contours of the shoal. We troll fairly slow. I catch them using salmon flashers and hootchies as well on other lakes but have not tried it in allouette but it should work there to. It’s been a while since I fished up there.
    dont be surprised if you catch large bull trout. I have caught a couple 15lb bulls in there
    I probaby won't go as far as Gold Creek between my little motor and the afternoon wind but hopefully I can hook into one across from the boat launch. What depth do you hook them at generally?

Didn't end up making it out. Will try in a few weeks

This time of year we catch them between 30-60 feet. Green flashers and a white glow hootchie 4-5” should work. Use a hootchie that looks like a small Kokanee. They always have Kokanee in their bellies
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    This time of year we catch them between 30-60 feet. Green flashers and a white glow hootchie 4-5” should work. Use a hootchie that looks like a small Kokanee. They always have Kokanee in their bellies

The hoochie is 4"-5"?
    And how big is your flasher?
    I'll give this a try this year. Would love to hook a big one

I have 15lb fluorocarbon coated line. Will that be heavy enough for bulls if I also have a flasher on it?

So I went to Alouette today with the intention of trying for bulltrout after limiting out on kokanee. Dropped a crayfish trap in 22ft of water by a creek and dropped another one about 50ft away in 37ft of water. Then I had battery issues and very low charge and couldn't even run my depth finder because of it. Still managed to land three kokanee but it was a very slow day. BUT.......I managed to catch a bulltrout! It was in my crayfish trap!!!
    I packed up and pulled the traps after about a 2.5hr soak. Pulled the 2nd trap first. Felt a bit of weight but didn't think anything of it because sometimes I mistake the weight of the trap for having crayfish in it (I have yet to catch any crayfish with them) and there was a freaking bulltrout in the trap! I was shocked! Must have liked the stank of the salmon flavoured can of catfood that I used as bait. It was about as long as the trap and I had a bit of a time getting it out. It really wanted the bait! Managed to get it out and swam off with no problems. What a beautiful fish! First time seeing one in person. Really want to land one on a rod now.
    So anyway, I didn't think that the first bulltrout I would ever catch and the first one on Alouette Lake would be in a crayfish trap......unbelievable......