Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: InReach

Re: InReach

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I'm a happy inReach user for years but this new product from Zoleo looks as good, and more affordable

https://www.zoleo.com/en-ca/

This looks very interesting....anyone running it?
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by ThinAir View Post
    This looks very interesting....anyone running it?
    I'd be interested to know as well.

This clause makes me wonder. $5 a month to suspend.

Cellular and Wi-Fi messages consume data similar to other messaging applications. You are responsible for these data costs; they’re not included in your ZOLEO monthly plan.

Hmm seems alittle janky. When my life could be on the line I'll stick with my InReach

I upgraded to the 66i last year from one of the original de Lorme units. As far as I know there is no longer an option to suspend your plan for the 3-5$ a month with the Garmin units as it was with the de Lorme units. The cheapest monthly plan in Canada is $15 if you purchase annually, or $20 per month if you want the ability to upgrade during during the hunting season. I use the $20 plan, and upgrade on months I have mountain hunts. The gps/inreach unit was on sale for about $800 after tax.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE2D3101-317F-432D-868D-D8A27220D5A0.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	7808  

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info. Keep it coming

I am using the 66i for both work and hunting with a lot of days on it. It has the functionality of a very good GPS unit, communication with those in your group, outside communication and emergency situations. Can be paired with phones for texting. My plan is about $35 a month after paying about $850.

This GPS unit is alot less buggy than the last run of garmin GPS's and they even added some features but still very user friendly - you just need to take it out and use it/test it before you head out for hunting or whatever so your comfortable with it.

I would recommend a battery pack for recharging if going for multiple days. I bought a solid battery pack that also charges phone and headlamp too which replaces all batteries.

I have the inreach Explorer +. Works great. If I was to buy again today I'd get the mini because I am starting to carry my phone for pictures and maps anyhow.

As far as plans, I have found buying the most basic annual plan to be most cost effective. On months where I'm in the mountains I just go over my minimum messages with little regard to cost. You can send a LOT of overage messages if you annualize the cost of the higher plan. Only makes sense if you use it every month of the year.

I have the same one however like others have said, because I work remotely for long periods of time with no ability to recharge, I appreciate the fact my Inreach can function quite nicely without having to rely on my phone. My phone will die long long long before my InReach whereas just having the mini would make messaging impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    I have the inreach Explorer +. Works great. If I was to buy again today I'd get the mini because I am starting to carry my phone for pictures and maps anyhow.

As far as plans, I have found buying the most basic annual plan to be most cost effective. On months where I'm in the mountains I just go over my minimum messages with little regard to cost. You can send a LOT of overage messages if you annualize the cost of the higher plan. Only makes sense if you use it every month of the year.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    My phone will die long long long before my InReach whereas just having the mini would make messaging impossible.
    You could still send preset messages and use SOS without the cell phone being paired
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Like a few others who have posted, I have the Garmin inreach explorer +
    I really like it... had it for about two years.