Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: InReach

InReach

Hi guys, looking to get an inreach this year but not sure on which one to get....mini or not. Which one will allow me to send real time texts? If you haven't used one before are they pretty easy for a newb to use. Any tips or tricks? What could I end up paying for service each month and can it be put on hold when not in use? And what should a guy expect to pay if getting it on sale? Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: InReach

I have the mini and love it. I have a subscription where I can suspend it when not during hunting season or whatnot. 29$ a month when activated I think. I like the mini because it pairs with your phone and you use your phone for all the functions and to send out texts. I think I have 10 preset texts I can send for free then after that it cost so much per text. Most I’ve seen is 50$ off regular price when on sale.

I have the mini for a couple years now. Works great. The mini sends texts but not real-time. Depending on where you are and the weather conditions it can take 5 min or 5 seconds to send a message.

I'm a happy inReach user for years but this new product from Zoleo looks as good, and more affordable

https://www.zoleo.com/en-ca/
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have the mini, it’s great for my use, can sync to your smart phone if needed for maps and such.

I've had my 66i for about a month now and it's the cat's meow.

That Zoleo looks interesting.

have the se for a long time now. great unit. connects bt to smartphone and also can be used on its own.
    many different plans. $20/ month in service or $3/mo suspended.
    if the mini was available, i wld have got that one. the zoleo looks pretty good too. cant go wrong with any garmin/inreach.

I have the bigger one. Explorer SE? Can’t remember. I get a good discount at Garmin through work so I’m thinking about upgrading to the new one that will take the backroads map book SD card. If you didn’t want the SD slot I would get the mini for sure. There’s decent phone apps that I like better for GPS than what the plain garmin maps give you.
    The Bluetooth thing lets you send texts easy through your phone on either though.

I have been using the Garmin Inreach Explorer+ for several years. It's been great. It's nice that I don't have to carry my phone and rely on the battery of my phone. The GPS is pretty good, not so great in thick woods but that's to be expected. I got mine $100 off and through a promo at the time the first 3 months of service were free.

The mini is perfect... I run it with my iPhone and another gps app (Gaia and hunt buddy). I figure that i will have my phone most of the time and with the mini and the gps apps I haven't missed my old garmin Map60 at all... I get good sat imagary and the text messaging with the mini