Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Better hide your AR 15

Re: Better hide your AR 15

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    This conversation has come up many times recently. I don't know from first hand experience, but it's not a big deal if you "lose" your restricted firearm. Apparently you just have to fill out a declaration with the rcmp.

Then the next question arises. What happens if there's a gun ban and I decide I'm not going to turn in my registered firearms? Will a swat team kick down my door and search for it? Will the rcmp not offer me a renewal on my pal? Will the rcmp press some kind of charges against me and throw me in jail? None of these options sound like it's going to be perceived well by the rest of the population.

We'll see how far comrade Trudeau wants to go with this...
    My point is we’ve been down this road before with the Ill fated long gun registry and all the invasive questions involved in that process! Now it’s no longer. Weed has been illegal forever and how many got thrown in the tank for simple possession and now it’s legal... get my point! It’s one government agenda vs another . Most people are decent enough but because some nut case may go ballistic we’re all going to pay the price. Bad politics
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

This conversation has come up many times recently. I don't know from first hand experience, but it's not a big deal if you "lose" your restricted firearm. Apparently you just have to fill out a declaration with the rcmp.

Then the next question arises. What happens if there's a gun ban and I decide I'm not going to turn in my registered firearms? Will a swat team kick down my door and search for it? Will the rcmp not offer me a renewal on my pal? Will the rcmp press some kind of charges against me and throw me in jail? None of these options sound like it's going to be perceived well by the rest of the population.

We'll see how far comrade Trudeau wants to go with this...
    If they are fully banned (made illegal to possess), rather than being upgraded to prohibited or grandfathered somehow, then possessing one beyond whatever window of time they give for turning them in or selling them to the gov will be an offence. Just like owning a prohibited firearm without an appropriate license. It seems quite likely that such an offence would have a negative impact on your ability to renew your firearms license.

Personally, I think this policy is going to fade away and be forgotten until 12 years from now when the liberals get elected agin.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I did notice your post said ars. So that does include not restricted ar-15 style guns and non-restricted ar-10s. I would hope that anyone who owns one of these would sell it or give it away before they turn them in to the govt.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

The liberal government had indicated they intend to pursue all semi automatic firearms, including non restricted variants such as sks's, ar-10s, mini 14s etc. I do believe recent domestic and international events are going to firmly push these initiatives to the back burner where they will hopefully remain until our illustrious idiot Prime Minister and his entourage of sychophant morons get voted out of office.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    The liberal government had indicated they intend to pursue all semi automatic firearms, including non restricted variants such as sks's, ar-10s, mini 14s etc. I do believe recent domestic and international events are going to firmly push these initiatives to the back burner where they will hopefully remain until our illustrious idiot Prime Minister and his entourage of sychophant morons get voted out of office.
    Lets hope that's the case. The sooner the Conservatives can initiate a non-confidence vote, the better

In todays Canada I think that will ultimately depend on the colour of your skin..... I cant see the govt doing anything to certain user groups in this regard.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

There is no such thing as a non-restricted AR.

AR-15s are restricted by name so they are registered so anyone 'hiding them' is breaking the law. If this goes through and you want to be difficult about it the most I would do is strip the receiver of everything and keep it separate and do nothing and let the government expend its efforts to come get it. It could take them months or years (meanwhile wasting our tax money doing so). Unfortunately, in either case, none of you will be getting any pleasure from using it since of course you can only shoot them at a range.

There are plenty of non-restricted rifles that can take the STANAG type magazine in .556/.223 or whatever other calibre of AR you have and receivers that you can take all the stuff you had for your AR and put into a new receiver. There are more of these coming out every year. Don't make the mistake of calling these "non-restricted ARs" as you are just playing into the hands of the gun control activists. Same thing with the AR-10 / AR-180s or other rifles that were made at the same time but do not share lineage with the AR-15.

Of course the gun controllers want to call all of these "ARs" or "assault rifles" or "assault weapons" so that they can sweep them ALL up. Notice Bill Blair when he talks names the AR-15 but also talks in broad strokes. This is so that he leaves it open to getting every gun that resembles ARs in the ban. And if he can't get these in the initial ban he will try to redefine many models into the restricted category so he can better track them for later.

Talking about hiding them is dumb when you can make a difference now politically. Trudeau and his government are reeling because of their inability to deal with crises: the blockades, coronavirus, China, the future of our economy. He MAY use guns as another way of distracting the nation from his weakness. The worst thing that could happen is a gun owner breaking the law or causing some outrage that he can point to as an excuse to enact his bans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Lets hope that's the case. The sooner the Conservatives can initiate a non-confidence vote, the better
    Here's hoping they pick a solid leader who is a good alternative to Trudeau. Having a non-confidence vote without a leader is a non-starter.

Despite how weak Trudeau is, we need those in the middle to turn away from him to have a hope.

And don't forget we need the NDP to smell blood before they will support a non-confidence vote.

My take on the Libs "going thru with the ban", is, that after the last election, they have every intent on bringing in "a" ban.
    How "watered down" it gets....who knows, but I know it is something they have every intent on implementing.
    (Maybe leading up to the next election?)

But, I wonder if they are going to try and pass something just like the NDP did here, during the night, and the GBear Ban.
    Remember, the NDP had the GBear hunt "in their platform".
    Thing was, nothing was talked about once they got in, and then suddenly (with the Site C announcement), the ban came into affect.
    Wonder if the ban on AR's will be similar, meaning, as little discussion as possible by the Libs, and then boom, here it is???