Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The most important piece of backpacking equipment...

Re: The most important piece of backpacking equipment...

Fitness........,...

we use the GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip, not much weight to this

Best boots possible ... look after your feet!
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako270wsm View Post
    Fitness........,...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlapper View Post
    Best boots possible ... look after your feet!
    Backpacking coffee thread.......

Grind my own just before I head out and freezer bag it, then use this....

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5018-6...ight-Java-Drip
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

My Dad and Uncles always made Cowboy Coffee,They said the secret to to having good tasting Coffee was you had to make it in a Tomato juice tin/can,Something to do with the tomato juice doing something to the steel making it taste better .I dunno, Can you even buy tomato juice in a can any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    As the experienced backpack said, the weight saving compared to instant wasn't much. Coffee should never be boiled. Making coffee is like making whisky or gasoline , there is a critical temperature where the bitter acids are released . For cowboy coffee you only bring your pot to a boil then , remove. When you perk, that's the why behind slow perking. Also why they would put egg shells in coffee, to neutralize the acid. Egg shells are calcium , a base. Coffee is almost as important as beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I use the jetboil coffee press, it’s awesome, weighs nothing and I always have my jetboil in my daypack/backpack anyway so just need the coffee, I drink it black so no need for cream/sugar
    In the last couple years I’ve discovered coffee good enough to not need cream/sugar. Honestly pressing my own coffee at work and home has changed my life. Probably spend 2X on coffee than whiskey. I’m planning some basic flyin backpack hunts for myself and my late 40s+ relatives. We will shorten our hikes if that’s what it takes to have good coffee. I’m learning that living doesn’t have to be a constant death race. The JetBoil coffee setup sounds interesting. Of course sharing some tools amongst 3 hikers gives some flexibility too.

A lighter. If you can't start a fire your sol. 50 years going in the bush. The only thing I require is the grounds simmer for 10 minutes. Anything after that to me is irrelevant. Oh and I need sugar. 2 heaping spoons full of sugar in a 500ml/16oz cup.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    A lighter. If you can't start a fire your sol. 50 years going in the bush. The only thing I require is the grounds simmer for 10 minutes. Anything after that to me is irrelevant. Oh and I need sugar. 2 heaping spoons full of sugar in a 500ml/16oz cup.
    Holy cow! Don't forget your insulin and needles either!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I don't run without coffee. The stove is beside my bag and I light it as soon as I wake up. I really need two cups before I start hunting, so I like to start early.

I think a french press or stovetop espresso are probably the best options but I am happy with Starbucks Via. I'd try the Jetboil option but I use an MSR stove.

Nothing wrong with cowboy coffee but Via doesn't leave a mug (or teeth) that require a lot of cleaning.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?