Thread: 3.0 Mercruiser

3.0 Mercruiser

Just picked up a nice little 19 foot Bayliner Classic cuddy with a 3.0 Merc.

Raw water cooling, year 2000 boat but mostly in fresh water. Clean boat and runs well with less than 300 hours.

Any thoughts/comments (mostly on motor)....

Thanks!

M

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3.0 Mercruiser

Good Engines - Chev 4 Cyl - Old school push rod -rocker arm engine - i have worked on lots of them over the years. RJ

Good little motors. I had one in a 19’ Capri bow rider 20 plus years back. Did the job and was good on fuel.

Good to know thanks!

With the raw water cooling, even though I don't expect to have the boat in salt water all that much, I want to make sure I'm maintaining it properly. A product called "Salt Away" was recommended. Anyone ever use it??

Hard to say if SALT AWAY really works...I have been using it for several years and I feel better using it over plane water.
    It foams up almost like soap and I have had no issues with salt build up.

Only started using it the last couple of years. Wondered about this myself. It seems to be working based on observations by Yamaha authorized mechanic who tore down one bank of my V6 outboard to replace gaskets. Nice and clean, no salt buildup from many years operating in saltwater. Might still have the pictures.