Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2020 Tundra

Re: 2020 Tundra

Hey Toy Guys what about that 4.7 lt V8 for Economy and Power in a Tundra ? Hows it Rate with you ? RJ

Where's all the Yotie guys gone ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Where's all the Yotie guys gone ? RJ
    I don't have much info for you on the 4.7 as mine is the 5.7. A couple things that come to mind: probably a minimal difference in milage but more power in the 5.7, 6spd vs 5spd auto and timing chain vs belt. I would hold out for a 5.7 if it were me.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Hey Toy Guys what about that 4.7 lt V8 for Economy and Power in a Tundra ? Hows it Rate with you ? RJ
    The 4.7 wasn't the best. The 5.7 is an animal. Has some ups and some downs but a great long lasting very strong build. Fuel economy may suffer....but you can't have everything. I am a fan of longevity. The 4.6. Is a Stroked down 5.7. Rev's a bit higher, but is built to rev higher, to get the power but has improved fuel economy for the day to day. Same engine built but less up and torque overall. Depends on what you need it to do.

Well I didn't read all of the posts but didn't the Tundra show up on the " Best truck not to buy list, followed by the Nissan full size. If you want a 1/2 ton go with the ride you like. Before I bought my new truck (2015) I test drove them all, Dodge, ride like a caddy, GMC, almost the same but didn't feel solid, Ford F150, even though similar cabs and interior I went with the Ford because it felt like a truck, not a minivan

Quote Originally Posted by sames14 View Post
    Well I didn't read all of the posts but didn't the Tundra show up on the " Best truck not to buy list, followed by the Nissan full size. If you want a 1/2 ton go with the ride you like. Before I bought my new truck (2015) I test drove them all, Dodge, ride like a caddy, GMC, almost the same but didn't feel solid, Ford F150, even though similar cabs and interior I went with the Ford because it felt like a truck, not a minivan
    Sounds like a domestic article "Best truck not to buy list". There are good and bad things about them all. I am surprised however that you went with the F-150. I know quite a few guys who have owned one recently and said never again.

RJ,

Back in 2010 I purchased a new Tundra TRD Double Cab with a canopy, that has the 4.6L in it. I test drove the 5.7 and the 4.6 and found that the 5.7 was just too much power for the way i drive...The 5.7 is a beast and would light the tires up at any and all stop lights if you wanted too. Now, I don't go around burning tires at every opportunity, but I do like to put my foot in it every once in awhile and figured the 'extra temptation' would be best left in the Toyota lot...I also compared the mileage ratings between the two, the 5.7 was rated at 19 mpg (14.8 L/100 km) on the highway and the 4.6's highway rating was 27 mpg (10.4 L/100 km). I've found that one can expect real world mileage to be a fair bit lower than advertised, so I went with the 4.6 L based on mileage and the fact that i wasn't towing anything.

I used to constantly monitor mileage and the numbers are as follows: highway driving, 10-12 km over the limit, I got 22 (12.8 L/100) - 23 mpg (12.3 L/100) as an overall average depending on the day. In town I would get 17.5 mpg (16.1 L/100) and in the bush 15 mpg (18.8 L/100). I tested it a few times on longer trips in the summer just to see if it would get anywhere close to the advertised mileage and found that granny driving 5 km over, I got 26 mpg (10.8 L/100). I managed to get 30 mpg (9.4 L/100) ONCE, it was on a trip to the EK, from the Lake Louise side, when it was 32 degrees Celsius out and there was not a breath of wind. I dialed it at the posted speed limit and was stunned when I topped her up in Cranbrook and saw the figures...This was certainly an outlier and I have never saw anything close to that again.

I now tow a boat and a flat deck trailer and the 4.6 performs very well for what it is...As has been mentioned, it is a revy little motor but it still gets the job done. The 5.7 would most certainly be a better choice if you are towing a lot. I don't keep track of mileage much anymore as in 2016 I installed a lift in the truck and some 295/70R18 tires and it simply destroyed the mileage!! I can't get any better than 18 mpg on the highway, yep a full 22 percent decrease! But it sure looks good and is a much more capable 4x4!! That's what i keep telling myself anyway, LOL...

The only issue that I have had with it was the front differential howl that started at 100,000 km. This is a known issue with tundras and as far as i know hasn't been addressed, up to and including the 2020's...There is a tiny needle bearing that the driver's side stub shaft goes into and it wears out and starts making noise between 40-60 km/h. Fairly expensive 'repair' at $2G and its the same parts that go back into the diff, which is why i said 'repair'...There is a delete kit out there that will fix the problem permanently but I was unaware of it at the time when mine started making noise. If it goes again i will get it fixed properly.

The truck is as solid now as it was when i drove it off the lot and i don't baby it by any means, but I'm also not a rock crawler either. It has had minimal recalls, actually I think there has only been one and that was a reflash...I would purchase another Tundra if I was in the market as this truck has been a good one.

'rifle
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.