Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to be said about natural ability

Re: Something to be said about natural ability

@Mastercaster

Dragging a duck and actual tracking (game) is for different purposes,dragging a bird or rabbit a couple hundred meter is to get distance for a dog to retrieve (retrieving reliability),a Drag is easy to follow for a dog,the dog works independent (off leash) and retrieves at the end.
    Wounded game tracking,the dog follows wounded game independently and retrieves at the end.To train this, the dog has to get experience with flight incapable birds--in training and later during hunts.
    blood tracking,is done on leash only (with the exception if the dog is a bringsel guide or dead game bayer),the dog does not retrieve at the end.

Yes,you can use slightly diluted blood but to teach a dog the basics it is best to have pure blood,make your dog successful!
    To start out, every step a couple of drops and it depends on the dog and how easily it adapts to the task.

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    @Mastercaster

Dragging a duck and actual tracking (game) is for different purposes,dragging a bird or rabbit a couple hundred meter is to get distance for a dog to retrieve (retrieving reliability),a Drag is easy to follow for a dog,the dog works independent (off leash) and retrieves at the end.
    Wounded game tracking,the dog follows wounded game independently and retrieves at the end.To train this, the dog has to get experience with flight incapable birds--in training and later during hunts.
    blood tracking,is done on leash only (with the exception if the dog is a bringsel guide or dead game bayer),the dog does not retrieve at the end.

Yes,you can use slightly diluted blood but to teach a dog the basics it is best to have pure blood,make your dog successful!
    To start out, every step a couple of drops and it depends on the dog and how easily it adapts to the task.

Rainer
    Thanks for the info.

So far Sako has done very well at recovering cripples, both while duck and goose hunting up to a few hundred yards since you often get a flying that lands well over from where your blind is. As far as tracking is concerned, though, she's had very little exposure. I imagine the best way to get pure blood is to save it when you're field dressing a deer,,,,but that's probably the last thing I'm thinking about while in the field. Any other ways of getting it?

You can use cows blood from your butcher shop.

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    You can use cows blood from your butcher shop.

Rainer
    Butchers on the coast get sides of beef delivered to them already bled out to butcher up into th various cuts of meat. You'd need to go to a slaughter house to get blood I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Thanks for the info.

So far Sako has done very well at recovering cripples, both while duck and goose hunting up to a few hundred yards since you often get a flying that lands well over from where your blind is. As far as tracking is concerned, though, she's had very little exposure. I imagine the best way to get pure blood is to save it when you're field dressing a deer,,,,but that's probably the last thing I'm thinking about while in the field. Any other ways of getting it?
    This is how I collect it. Just scoop it out of the cavity with an old margarine tub and put it into a large freezer bag or 2. Then I freeze it in 250 ml quantities in small freezer bags.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    This is how I collect it. Just scoop it out of the cavity with an old margarine tub and put it into a large freezer bag or 2. Then I freeze it in 250 ml quantities in small freezer bags.
    That would probably work well if you were a road hunter but the last half dozen animals I've dropped since I've gotten my dog I have been a good long way from my vehicle to be packing blood out without it probably springing a leak in my pack. haha

Your backpack doesn't have pockets that you could put it in?
    Freezer bags with the zip lock are pretty sturdy but I have double-bagged the blood sometimes.
    Getting the blood has always been a priority for me.

Your backpack doesn't have pockets that you could put it in?
    Freezer bags with the zip lock are pretty sturdy but I have double-bagged the blood sometimes.
    Getting the blood has always been a priority for me.
    I think what would work well is to put it in a water bottle with a wide opening. They're usually pretty sturdy and and good lids. I'll definitely save some next fall. In the meantime, the only thing that I may try is the blood/water from unthawing a package of deer even thought the scent will be weaker than straight blood.

What do you like to put at the end of the track? I've heard that some guys like to tack a 2' x 2' piece of deer hide on a thin sheet of plywood at the end. I've heard of placing food at the end of the track, as well.

Any ungulate hide is good at the end of the track. I put food with a high value as a reward under the hide for pup to find.
    I say high value food as it should mean something more to them than their daily kibble. Examples can be cubed liver or meat pieces, mild sausage, etc.
    Always blood track when pup is hungry.

While tracking, you set the pace and not the dog. There are wide collars specific to blood tracking, or you can use a harness to prevent choking as they are pulling. Connect a long lead to the collar at the bottom and run it under the dog between the legs. This prevents lifting the dog's head while pulling on the track.
    To start, intersperse food treats between blood drops on the trail. You must always know where the blood trail is, so be sure it is marked well for you.
    Always track with the wind if possible.

Any ungulate hide is good at the end of the track. I put food with a high value as a reward under the hide for pup to find.
    I say high value food as it should mean something more to them than their daily kibble. Examples can be cubed liver or meat pieces, mild sausage, etc.
    Always blood track when pup is hungry.

While tracking, you set the pace and not the dog. There are wide collars specific to blood tracking, or you can use a harness to prevent choking as they are pulling. Connect a long lead to the collar at the bottom and run it under the dog between the legs. This prevents lifting the dog's head while pulling on the track.
    To start, intersperse food treats between blood drops on the trail. You must always know where the blood trail is, so be sure it is marked well for you.
    Always track with the wind if possible.
    Those are great tips! My dog gets lots of high value treats so that part should be easy,,,,,grouse, deer, duck, and goose jerky are some of them. Unfortunately I didn't hold onto any hide from last year either. I almost always use the gutless method so I'm not packing anything more than I have to when coming out of the bush since I'm becoming an old fart.

To start, how old should the trail be before letting her have a stab at it? Just thought of something. My waterfowl hunting buddy traps coyotes. Have you practiced with those before? I basically want my dog to be able to track lost ungulates so would it be better to stick with venison blood and hides?