Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBears each spring

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: BlackBears each spring

I try every spring for black bear. Could tag out early, but I usually look for a 6'er. Had Hunnifords hickory sticks last fall, so I will kill one for garlic coil, hickory sticks, honey garlic pepperonies, and smokies, so I may need to kill 2 this year! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

When I read “kill them all” posts or “ I shoot but don’t want to eat edible meat”.....

im not of a like mind and will not associate with fools banter - this is the type of talk that fractures the hunting community. But hey, great job waving a fools flag, make it easier for the rest of us to know who to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Not enough. Kill bears. Kill all bears.
    not very smart idea... bc forest is not same if no bears around..just control numbers,,,and get rid of danger bears.. and get back grizz hunting..,,,f--g

Quote Originally Posted by GSchott View Post
    I might even try for a fall bear this year because I hear great things about bear fat...My spring bear had little to no fat on him.
    I would think going high into the alpine in early Sept when they are gorging on blue berries would be a good bear. Being high into the Alpine also lessens the odds you'll find a tampon in it's mouth too. Those stats Bartel posted up are interesting. Number of kills back to the beginning of 1990 would have been without the requirement to take the meat. I think. Any one prove me wrong?
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    When I read “kill them all” posts or “ I shoot but don’t want to eat edible meat”.....

im not of a like mind and will not associate with fools banter - this is the type of talk that fractures the hunting community. But hey, great job waving a fools flag, make it easier for the rest of us to know who to avoid
    Wow, hey I apologize for tarnishing the good name of hunting. Thought most people would have picked up the sarcasm. But, I guess not. As for waving the fools flag. No problem. Chances are, I did both of us a favor. I'd have no problem hunting bears with the requirement of meat or hide or both. What are your feelings on Wolf? If you want to eat it cause you can't get your moose in the fall or like the meat, go ahead. My thinking is more along the lines of calf/fawn mortality due to predation by bears. To my understanding, it can be quite high. And the last time I looked there were over 120,000 black bears in the Province. That's why I commented on Bartels post. Numbers aren't really that far off. Hunters that is. The numbers are reasonably the same before and after the meat requirement.
    Last edited by 180grainer; 02-26-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Jan 13th

I donate my meat to a elderly man. It’s his fav game meat and my least fav. I get to help my deer /elk spots and feed a older fella who can’t get out and hunt anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I get a little tired of the “kill ‘em all” attitude that pops up here now and again about bears.

I’m not opposed to hunting bears. This will be my 44th season doing it, but it gets a little wearying when I see posts like “I saved another moose calf by shooting a bear.”

You want to shoot a bear, go ahead, fill your boots but there are numerous other impacts on deer and moose like huge clear cuts from pine beetle logging, oil and gas pipeline road access, tick infestations, highway and rail mortality, unregulated hunting, the list goes on.

In 52 years of hunting and many hundreds of piles of bear scat observed I have found one with fawn hooves in it. There is no doubt that opportunistic omnivores like bears will eat a fawn, that’s true, but on the other hand, I have seen does with young fawns unmolested in bear-rich areas too.
    The bear population gets impacted by unregulated hunting too, the black market for bear parts is still active. I’ve pulled road-killed bears off the road too.

And some licensed hunters aren’t that great at bear recovery either. In 2018 I was on a moose hunt in Region 5 and met a family when the dad was standing on the road bank looking into some nearby trees. “Nope, you missed,” he said back to a young teenager at the truck. “I don’t see any blood.” They didn’t make any more effort to go look.
    We had a chat with them over the next week when we bumped into each other and they said that the teenager, trying to get her first bear had shot and “missed” shooting at 10 bears. Well if they didn’t go looking any harder than looking over the bank how did they know?

On the same trip my partner shot a bear at the side of the road. It fled into the bush and when we got to the spot it had been at there was a little scuff mark in the gravel. No hair, no blood, no other tracks. We walked 30 feet into the trees and guess what? Dead bear.

And this anthropocentric attitude that the bears are killing “our” deer and moose is kind of irritating too. Who says they are our deer and moose? A bear has to eat too.
    I tend to agree and its not just bears, so much of the talk/attitude is the same about cats and wolves as well.

If you want to kill a bear fast just shoot them in the middle of the middle.. game over for mr bear!! And shooting bears just to shoot bears is for ass holes. They play an important role out there. Two a year is plenty.
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I donate my meat to a elderly man. .
    That's the way to do it.

Collectivism is Slavery

Jan 13th

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    according to the harvest stats for the last 5 years published :

2015 - 3467 resident kills, 991 non resident (total 4458 )
    2014 - 2974 resident kills, 1037 non resident (total 4011)
    2013 - 2797 resident kills, 936 non resident (total 3733)
    2012 - 2820 resident kills, 1062 non resident (total 3882)
    2011 - 3142 resident kills, 1150 non resident (total 4292)

• 5 year average - 3040 resident kills, 1035 non resident
    • 5 year average hunter participation - 12,509 residents, 1408 non residents
    • 24 bears killed per hundred resident hunters actively pursuing bears, 74 bears killed per hundred non resident hunters

checking back 20 years ago, from 1991-1995, avg resident kills was 3213 per year
    Interesting, thanks (thumbs up)

We had 5 days to hunt in spring and between 2 families we killed 3 (all males, weren't targeting, just what we killed)..went out on a 3 day alpine deer hike in fall and out of two families, 1 more male got packed home....we just grind it up and eat casseroles, tacos, spaghetti with it....better the ground beef, although we add a tablespoon of butter to it when we fry it up
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA