Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBears each spring

Re: BlackBears each spring

Whatta i can do with dead pooh..we are not eating pooh meat,,no use for hide.. can,t leave it to bush . ? Can i donate it for somebody. I,m not against bear hunting..f.g

in my circles I have only met maybe 1 in 15 or 20 hunters that take a bear at all

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Definitely need to take more, that being said, I don't think increasing the bag limit will do much, how,many hunters would take more than 2 bear a year? How many hunters take 2 a year?
    I'll tag out on bears every year, if I'm able. Encouraging the spouse to get a tag or two and come out as well! Can't wait for spring bear to start, as my freezer is getting a bit low on bear atm.

This spring I let 46 bears walk (well there's a couple that spooked before I could get in range) before touching the trigger this year. And it had been a few seasons before I decided on killing one... so I guess I'm not really doing my part

according to the harvest stats for the last 5 years published :

2015 - 3467 resident kills, 991 non resident (total 4458 )
    2014 - 2974 resident kills, 1037 non resident (total 4011)
    2013 - 2797 resident kills, 936 non resident (total 3733)
    2012 - 2820 resident kills, 1062 non resident (total 3882)
    2011 - 3142 resident kills, 1150 non resident (total 4292)

• 5 year average - 3040 resident kills, 1035 non resident
    • 5 year average hunter participation - 12,509 residents, 1408 non residents
    • 24 bears killed per hundred resident hunters actively pursuing bears, 74 bears killed per hundred non resident hunters

checking back 20 years ago, from 1991-1995, avg resident kills was 3213 per year
    Last edited by todbartell; 02-26-2020 at 10:22 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by GSchott View Post
    ... I know it sounds lame and hokey but what a life changing experience...
    Not at all. Sounds spot on. Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    This spring I let 46 bears walk (well there's a couple that spooked before I could get in range) before touching the trigger this year. And it had been a few seasons before I decided on killing one... so I guess I'm not really doing my part

OH WAIT!! I did have some promising results this winter!

Ol' Tranquilizer hasn't really come out bear hunting because his wife is kind of an idealist. But I had them over for supper and made pulled bear. She loved it and I gave them a bunch of bear meat... so I may have Tranquilizer back into bear hunting this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Not enough. Kill bears. Kill all bears.
    agree with you

I get a little tired of the “kill ‘em all” attitude that pops up here now and again about bears.

I’m not opposed to hunting bears. This will be my 44th season doing it, but it gets a little wearying when I see posts like “I saved another moose calf by shooting a bear.”

You want to shoot a bear, go ahead, fill your boots but there are numerous other impacts on deer and moose like huge clear cuts from pine beetle logging, oil and gas pipeline road access, tick infestations, highway and rail mortality, unregulated hunting, the list goes on.

In 52 years of hunting and many hundreds of piles of bear scat observed I have found one with fawn hooves in it. There is no doubt that opportunistic omnivores like bears will eat a fawn, that’s true, but on the other hand, I have seen does with young fawns unmolested in bear-rich areas too.
    The bear population gets impacted by unregulated hunting too, the black market for bear parts is still active. I’ve pulled road-killed bears off the road too.
    Last edited by MichelD; 04-25-2020 at 09:56 PM.

If you only shoot boars not alot has been accomplished..