Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: BlackBears each spring

Re: BlackBears each spring

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    well than those bears are huge.

midgets are 4 foot. Nog is almost 5

Quote Originally Posted by Liptugger View Post
    I can attest to the size of those bears, they were very respectable .
    Well Nog is not actually a midget either.
    He ain't no shockey.

Sorry Steelhead... shouldn't be making fun of you since I don't know you. But the setup was a bench rest shot at 25 yards. They are impressive critters.

Arrow Re: BlackBears each spring

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    those are big bears or that dude is a miget..
    I stand just a smidge over six feet.

First bear was seven feet, seven inches nose to tail (without any stretching) weighed in at near 600, and was incredibly pudgy.Way book noggin. Excellent grits:

Second bear was seven feet two inches, but has a longer snout. May score even better... Also good grits.

Cheers,
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 03-08-2020 at 06:06 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Both incredable bears would like to see the break down on measurements of both skulls i always find that interesting how
    the different shape can add up.

Quote Originally Posted by MontyLake View Post

Anyway, if people find bear meat disgusting the solution is very simple: Don't shoot 'em.

....or do because ya know, contrary to recent popular belief, hunting isn’t only about putting food in the freezer.

Beauty rug mount Matt. Thats a hell of a blackie. What did it taste like?
    When I hear island bear I think sour salmon... tell me I'm wrong.

I dream of a rug like that for the new man cave. Trying to decide on island or interior for spring bear.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Just to be clear... I'm not against hanging meat until you have a chance to deal with it. I just don't think hanging it to age it to change flavour or texture is necessary.
    Aging is not necessary.

However,
    When you learn how to age meat, you will learn that aging does make a significant effect on texture, and a small to significant change in flavour.
    Aging can make the difference between meat that is good, to meat that is spectacular!

So many young* (in butchering experience) hunters these days have developed a mindset that all wild fat tastes bad, same applies to "silverskin"....
    They get anal in wasting piles of good food and time in trimming it all away.
    Yet they are simply wrong.
    It's too bad how learned biases are so difficult to change....

I think I may be giving the wrong explication. BUT I guess I should word it "Hanging" meat to age it is un-necessary. There's all sort's of videos out there with different ways to age individual steaks with different methods.

The only time my bears get aged is in the spring when the butcher will hang them in his fridge before cutting, if I’m doing it myself that bear is cut and wrapped within hours of being cold.

nice thing about spring bear is you can almost always find plenty of snow to fill that chest cavity with!!

Arrow Re: BlackBears each spring

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Beauty rug mount Matt. Thats a hell of a blackie. What did it taste like?
    When I hear island bear I think sour salmon... tell me I'm wrong.
    Contrary to one delusional member of this fine forum, there are MANY areas on the Island that the bears simply do not dine on salmon. I tend to believe that is by choice, as most certainly could if they wished to.

Both these bears were taken fairly close to one of the Island's largest alfalfa fields - a spot where they were known to make extremely frequent visits to. The area is rich in orchards, and a good smattering of gardens on top of the excellent supply of natural forage in the area.They were both also understood to make use of all these resources. Never was either of them seen nor reported anywhere near a salmon bearing system as they apparently preferred their highlands.

As a consequence, both were excellent eating. Both were rather fat, however the first was basically a Pillsbury Dough Boy type - collected nearly 150 pounds of clean fat off him alone. And that fat was rendered into the finest bear oil I've ever made. Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    When you learn how to age meat, you will learn that aging does make a significant effect on texture, and a small to significant change in flavour.
    Aging can make the difference between meat that is good, to meat that is spectacular!
    I strongly concur!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me