Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBears each spring

Re: BlackBears each spring

Between a fall coquihalla berry bear where the meat froze overnight and a quesnel spring grass bear that was in the freezer in an hour there is no differnce in taste..both taste better than ground beef.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Does anyone get their bear meat tested?
    Considering that meat like pepperoni isnt really cooked, but rather cured, it seems like the highest risk of trichinosis to me, yet I never hear of anyone getting the meat tested.

Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I get a little tired of the “kill ‘em all” attitude that pops up here now and again about bears.

I’m not opposed to hunting bears. This will be my 44th season doing it, but it gets a little wearying when I see posts like “I saved another moose calf by shooting a bear.”

You want to shoot a bear, go ahead, fill your boots but there are numerous other impacts on deer and moose like huge clear cuts from pine beetle logging, oil and gas pipeline road access, tick infestations, highway and rail mortality, unregulated hunting, the list goes on.

In 52 years of hunting and many hundreds of piles of bear scat observed I have found one with fawn hooves in it. There is no doubt that opportunistic omnivores like bears will eat a fawn, that’s true, but on the other hand, I have seen does with young fawns unmolested in bear-rich areas too.
    The bear population gets impacted by unregulated hunting too, the black market for bear parts is still active. I’ve pulled road-killed bears off the road too.

And some licensed hunters aren’t that great at bear recovery either. In 2018 I was on a moose hunt in Region 5 and met a family when the dad was standing on the road bank looking into some nearby trees. “Nope, you missed,” he said back to a young teenager at the truck. “I don’t see any blood.” They didn’t make any more effort to go look.
    We had a chat with them over the next week when we bumped into each other and they said that the teenager, trying to get her first bear had shot and “missed” shooting at 10 bears. Well if they didn’t go looking any harder than looking over the bank how did they know?

On the same trip my partner shot a bear at the side of the road. It fled into the bush and when we got to the spot it had been at there was a little scuff mark in the gravel. No hair, no blood, no other tracks. We walked 30 feet into the trees and guess what? Dead bear.

And this anthropocentric attitude that the bears are killing “our” deer and moose is kind of irritating too. Who says they are our deer and moose? A bear has to eat too.
    Thanks for posting this it's refreshing to hear a different opinion than "KILL EVERYTHING" on here. I've been thinking about getting out in the spring to try for a black bear, still hope to some time. What you said about an anthropocentric attitude towards wildlife really hits the nail on the head for me.

Honestly we shot a WT buck and a WT doe this year in Rock Creek late November, they froze solid overnight (-10)...both are a bit gamey tasting, me and the boys eat it but the wife refuses but she loves the bear meat lol
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by Nailknot85 View Post
    Thanks for posting this it's refreshing to hear a different opinion than "KILL EVERYTHING" on here. I
    That's a BS comment. You heard "kill everything" on this thread from me. You don't hear that " On here"........
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Does anyone get their bear meat tested?
    Considering that meat like pepperoni isnt really cooked, but rather cured, it seems like the highest risk of trichinosis to me, yet I never hear of anyone getting the meat tested.

Why is that?
    I looked into that a long time ago. UBC had something where you could do that. But you had to submit various parts, (tongue, liver, heart, etc) if I recall. I actually phoned them. Same time as I did about the ducks I was shooting cause I shot a Pintail with, (looks like worms) cysts and wanted to know about that. Never did send a sample in.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    If you only shoot boars not alot has been accomplished..
    True story........

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    I would think going high into the alpine in early Sept when they are gorging on blue berries would be a good bear. Being high into the Alpine also lessens the odds you'll find a tampon in it's mouth too. Those stats Bartel posted up are interesting. Number of kills back to the beginning of 1990 would have been without the requirement to take the meat. I think. Any one prove me wrong?
    Or the black huckleberries in clearcuts in September I have found to be good as well for black bears..

For myself bear season is mostly catch and release, a chance to explore while ‘hunting’. This spring I may get serious to take a bear for some ground for the freezer. I make sausage and pepperoni and anything can taste great in that. Usually pack an open sighted rifle to add to the challenge, it is not too hard to get up close to bears in BC.

No problems here with hunting predators. Cougar and bear tags every year. Just keep it classy, respect to the competition.

Well here the totals for me and my buddy the last few years,

2019 - 3
    2018 - 3
    2017 - 2
    2016 - 4