Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBears each spring

Re: BlackBears each spring

worms are in a lot of things we eat, but when you see them its a different story. Cut open a salmon once and they were crawling all through it....needless to say it became crab bate. I do plan to take a bear and will have the butcher (Abby meats) do up some of his amazing sausages and use the rest for ground. Worms or no worms. Just don't want to see them haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    worms are in a lot of things we eat, but when you see them its a different story. Cut open a salmon once and they were crawling all through it....needless to say it became crab bate. I do plan to take a bear and will have the butcher (Abby meats) do up some of his amazing sausages and use the rest for ground. Worms or no worms. Just don't want to see them haha
    good advice...I may have to try for bear this year but use a butcher and get sausages instead of roasts and burger that I normally do myself..."out of sight, out of mind" as they say...heheheh

Your butcher isnt even going to take that meat in!

My buddy tried. He felt bad just wasting this bear meat but when he took it in, the butcher told him to go away.

He said he isnt going to risk contaminating his tools and work bench with a wormy bear.

I'd be surprised if others are willing to take in meat that has a clearly visible parasite on it.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Happened to a buddy of mine as well. Of course, you cant know this until the bear is dead.

And anyone who says "just make sure to cook it properly" even when there are nasty worms crawling in it, in sorry, but that is just fu***n DISGUSTING
    I think the trich worms are much harder to see than the white filial worms that you might find along the backbone and particularly the troat area of bears.

I think many people think those long white worms are trichinella worms but they're not.

Authorities say that the microfilarial stage and the subadult and adult stages do not affect the edibility of the meat nor are the worms of public health significance.

Anyway, if people find bear meat disgusting the solution is very simple: Don't shoot 'em.

My group shot 3 bears last season.... pepperoni is great.. but expensive to have made. Turned one into pepperoni... and the other two into ground.. cant even tell its bear in pasta sauce... ate the tenderloins at camp the same days we got the last two. Didnt see any worms... i had heard bear wasnt good.. but ya know what? ... i dont find anything wrong with it at all... ill be shootin more of them in the future.. meats meat. Maybe i just wash my bears well... they were not gamey at all... if anything just a bit tasteless...garlic? Spices? ... bbq sauce? ... whats the issue? Lol... delicious!... Edit: my butchers took my bears in no problem....also... i spend all evening trimming the fat off the winter bears til theres pretty much none on it... 1 bear was spring bear the other 2 were October bears. Wash and trim wash and trim.... rinse.... wash some more... trim some more... rinse... oh and sip whiskey too.. can do that all night np.
    Last edited by Taurusguy; 03-03-2020 at 06:17 PM.

I don't understand why people work so hard to make something taste like something it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I don't understand why people work so hard to make something taste like something it's not.
    I guess it's preference, I love a fatty beef steak, that sweet corn fed fat is incredibly flavorful! Deer fat on the other hand tastes like piss and b.o. to me I do my best to trim it off. My buddy has no problem with a little of that flavour....to each their own. I'm not gonna lie I love hunting, cut and care for all my own meat being careful to not waste any but if I could have the same experience hunting angus beef I would lol
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    That's the way I feel too.

Some people love their pepperoni. Not me. Hate the stuff. I think I've had four or five sticks of pepperoni in my life and that's only 'cause other people provided it.

I sure don't have any of my wild game processed into anything that makes it tastes like "not-game-meat."

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    I guess it's preference, I love a fatty beef steak, that sweet corn fed fat is incredibly flavorful! Deer fat on the other hand tastes like piss and b.o. to me I do my best to trim it off. My buddy has no problem with a little of that flavour....to each their own. I'm not gonna lie I love hunting, cut and care for all my own meat being careful to not waste any but if I could have the same experience hunting angus beef I would lol
    I'm with him on this. I hate that the best compliment I can give deer meat is that its "not too gamey", but that's how I am.

I trim 100% of the fat off and my garbage pile looks almost like most peoples "burger pile". But i cant have it if it has even the tiniest amount of deer fat left behind. Just no!

I had a butcher friend use my deer fat (on his suggestion) for making pepperoni instead of buying pork fat and it was great