Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBears each spring

Re: BlackBears each spring

Quote Originally Posted by Taurusguy View Post
    My group shot 3 bears last season.... pepperoni is great.. but expensive to have made. Turned one into pepperoni... and the other two into ground.. cant even tell its bear in pasta sauce... ate the tenderloins at camp the same days we got the last two. Didnt see any worms... i had heard bear wasnt good.. but ya know what? ... i dont find anything wrong with it at all... ill be shootin more of them in the future.. meats meat. Maybe i just wash my bears well... they were not gamey at all... if anything just a bit tasteless...garlic? Spices? ... bbq sauce? ... whats the
    issue? Lol... delicious!... Edit: my butchers took my bears in no problem....also... i spend all evening trimming the fat off the winter bears til theres pretty much none on it... 1 bear was spring bear the other 2 were October bears. Wash and trim wash and trim.... rinse.... wash some more... trim some more... rinse... oh and sip whiskey too.. can do that all night np.
    Taurus. You explained that you do a lot of washing down and trimming when dealing with your bears . Are you doing this when field dressing them ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I'm with him on this. I hate that the best compliment I can give deer meat is that its "not too gamey", but that's how I am.

I trim 100% of the fat off and my garbage pile looks almost like most peoples "burger pile". But i cant have it if it has even the tiniest amount of deer fat left behind. Just no!
    I would have to agree aswell. My garbage pile is probably most people's trim pile. I prefer taking nice lean stew chunks and grind that for burger. Add alittle pork and your good to go

Yup... while they hang in camp. I break out the whiskey and cut/trim fat.... i always seem to get my animals near end of the hunt so i have lotsa water left pver so i will pour some in the chest cavity and i will wipe them down with a wet rag over and over ... all the blood shot spots... all the crevices... wipe n wipe... once im happy with how clean it is i will then let it dry up and skin over... but ill stay on it til i reach that point of happiness lol or i run outa whiskey lol

https://ibb.co/WvFptdT

Ill use a full water jug... bunch goes through the chest,cavity before i hang it.. ill wash n wipe while its on the ground and drain it out the ass.... then once i hang it ill do it in smaller portions... if i run outa water ill go fill it in a near by creek if req to get more water.. ill wipe out all the wounds... blood shot.. cut n trim... and yes i got half a garbage bag full of fat off that guy in the pic lol .. i came back later that evening and trimmed it down even more (was wasting hunting light lol) .... i do the same for deer too ... never had bad tasting game meat ever...had a 2nd one hanging that night.. but i nvr got a picture of it hangin next to the first one. Oh and yes i try and wipe it dry after also... so it skins up faster... i like to spend alot of time on the carcass.. i get ocd lol
    Last edited by Taurusguy; 03-04-2020 at 05:21 PM.

What’s your opinion on hanging or aging bear? I was taught to never hang bear more than one day unless it’s around the zero mark.. the reasoning is that the jelly type fat on a bear melts easily and can taint the flavour of the meat? I’ve never hung a bear it’s always home and butcher immediately?
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    What’s your opinion on hanging or aging bear? I was taught to never hang bear more than one day unless it’s around the zero mark.. the reasoning is that the jelly type fat on a bear melts easily and can taint the flavour of the meat? I’ve never hung a bear it’s always home and butcher immediately?
    I personally don't hang any of my wild meat. To properly age it, you need the right conditions... which basically means you probably need the proper cooler set-up. I'm also not a fan of how much you have to trim off after hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I personally don't hang any of my wild meat. To properly age it, you need the right conditions... which basically means you probably need the proper cooler set-up. I'm also not a fan of how much you have to trim off after hanging.
    Most my deer I get I hang two days if the weather allows just so it has time to relax. I’ve hung deer 3 weeks on a few occasions can’t say I noticed any different from that to only two days .
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

I tried once. Never again. Unlike deer or moose or beef, it doesn't age nice, it just goes bad.

Most my deer I get I hang two days if the weather allows just so it has time to relax. I’ve hung deer 3 weeks on a few occasions can’t say I noticed any different from that to only two days .
    2 days, 3 weeks... if you don't find any difference, then what's the point?

When I helped ol' beradimus get his moose, out buddy wad giving us shot for cutting it right away and not hanging it for 20 days. Said we were going to have boot leather... not the case.

As long as day time temps are 10c or less... hanging is fine... i was in prince George when we got the 2 October bears so it wasnt like i could just pack up and go back to the lower mainland. I have never had an issue with hanging my meat for a few days and continue to hunt... and like i said i spend alot of time trimming it... i dont mind that at all ... better than sitting around doing nothing when its dark at 6pm and feels like midnight.... also not sure how u got the pic to show up but thanks.