Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBears each spring

Re: BlackBears each spring

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    That's a BS comment. You heard "kill everything" on this thread from me. You don't hear that " On here"........
    I may have used similar language to your post which was lazy of me you're right but the sentiment does come up often. Call me out all you want, that's my observation though.

Up the coquihalla and in quesnel where I've hunted bears lately you see 10 times as many bears as deer. I don't think a larger bag limit wouldn't effect numbers though..there's just not a lot of guys hunting bears.we have 8 tags in our family and usually only fill one or two, living in the city we just don't get out enough.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Up the coquihalla and in quesnel where I've hunted bears lately you see 10 times as many bears as deer. I don't think a larger bag limit wouldn't effect numbers though..there's just not a lot of guys hunting bears.we have 8 tags in our family and usually only fill one or two, living in the city we just don't get out enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Does anyone get their bear meat tested?
    Considering that meat like pepperoni isnt really cooked, but rather cured, it seems like the highest risk of trichinosis to me, yet I never hear of anyone getting the meat tested.

Why is that?
    I just assume it has trichinosis and treat it that way. Cook to to 160.
    The place I got pepperoni made does a hot smoke after curing so it gets to 160 as well.
    Testing is probably a waste of time and money IMO. If it does come back positive are you going to toss it?
    If you're doing cold smoked cured meats used deer perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_overlord View Post
    I just assume it has trichinosis and treat it that way. Cook to to 160.
    The place I got pepperoni made does a hot smoke after curing so it gets to 160 as well.
    Testing is probably a waste of time and money IMO. If it does come back positive are you going to toss it?
    If you're doing cold smoked cured meats used deer perhaps.
    My question to people is "if you get it treated and it comes back negative... will you eat it rare?"

My bear hunting area and my deer hunting area is 200km from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    If you only shoot boars not alot has been accomplished..
    If the desire is to lower the bear population, you nailed it.

Hunters need to give less credence to their ego and trophies.
    Spread the love around.

any big taste difference between a spring bear and a fat fall bear? didn't fill my tag last fall, but looking forward to another shot this year. maybe one of each season? what is your preference.
    i don't mind helping with pred control on bears, but i don't want to waste the meat...it had better taste good!

I harvested one from each season last year. Both were only 3 years old. And I found the meat better than my deer i shot in November

I'll try to find one to hang a tag on this spring.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    My question to people is "if you get it treated and it comes back negative... will you eat it rare?"
    I wouldn't be able to. Bear is so greasy that I have to almost over cook it anyway.