Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What have I done?

Re: What have I done?

If that bow is half as deadly as it is beautiful you should do real well with it. It sure is a beaut!
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by TDHunter View Post
    Should be a forgiving bow at 68", heard real mixed views on the trad vanes, but haven't tried them yet.

Don't discount instinctive without giving a try. I've always thought it was the best style for hunting just because I don't have think about gaps or trying set my fingers if the animal is moving away or towards, worth a try.

Cheers
    I think what I've been doing would be closer to semi instinctive gap shooting than true gap shooting, I'm aware of my arrow tip and using it as a reference but I'm focused on the spot I want to hit. Finding as I step back my arrows are consistently impacting slightly left so not sure if it's my release or if I need to add some more point weight to these arrows to soften them up but I'll play around this weekend and see what happens. At least I'm on target!

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Haha, nice.

I no longer practice like I should, but I kill every year with the longbow or recurve. Not always lookin for 10's. Looking for heart/double lung.
    Quote Originally Posted by OutsyderBC View Post
    You definitely can get accurate in the single string game.

Lots of range time and an open mind. Stay away from the "trad" nazis/tradpolice, they're the worst of mankind (in fact, never use the term "trad"!) Learn to aim, stay away from "instinctive" archers (Just like Howard Hill, I have never met a good one) good archers are usually at shoots and not so much on Youtube, walk before you can run. Get a coach/mentor, only shoot wooden arrows if you really want to, don't get pushed into it because a salty old guy says you're not "traditional" if you don't. That will help you on your way!

Also, giving wheelie bow shooters a hard time is just for fun, you can do it, but don't really mean it - see above on the "trad police"

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Haha, nice.

I no longer practice like I should, but I kill every year with the longbow or recurve. Not always lookin for 10's. Looking for heart/double lung.
    True dat!

I can tell you that competitive archery at the highest level is nothing on the nerves to drawing on an animal, nothing levels you like that does.

Hope you are well, J_T, we are in the Kootenays a couple of times in the spring/summer, we should have tea. Bosslady has moved into a role you might be interested in.

Man thats a beauty recurve, just curious does your buddy Tony have any more for sale? I'd love to take a look

Quote Originally Posted by chris1234 View Post
    Man thats a beauty recurve, just curious does your buddy Tony have any more for sale? I'd love to take a look
    Sent you a PM!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Beauty bow...love the choice of wood too!
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Don’t be afraid of AAE trad vanes, they really do shoot well. I’ve shot feathers for 50 years, but recently built a new set of carbon shafts with a 4 fletch, using 3” vanes. They are incredible off the shelf and off a flipper rest, and very quiet. I can’t say how long they will hold up yet, but feathers don’t last all that long either. And the vanes can get wet without any problems or loss of performance.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by chris1234 View Post
    That bow is and Longbow of the Vlad design and would certainly be deserving of some fancy wood arrows with feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah68 View Post
    Don’t be afraid of AAE trad vanes, they really do shoot well. I’ve shot feathers for 50 years, but recently built a new set of carbon shafts with a 4 fletch, using 3” vanes. They are incredible off the shelf and off a flipper rest, and very quiet. I can’t say how long they will hold up yet, but feathers don’t last all that long either. And the vanes can get wet without any problems or loss of performance.
    Cheers!
    Appreciate the input, did you fletch them yourself and if so did you have any issues? One consistent thing I've heard is they can be a real pain in the ass to fletch.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrip View Post
    That bow is and Longbow of the Vlad design and would certainly be deserving of some fancy wood arrows with feathers.
    Have some barred shield cut turkey feathers on the way, shooting carbon for now but would definitely like to shoot woods out of it eventually.