Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making dog treats from the birds you harvest

Re: Making dog treats from the birds you harvest

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    We give our hounds the whole raw grouse after doing the step-on-wings trick and taking off the wings. They love it, no cooking necessary.
    I take it that you skin the grouse, though. You're not giving the dogs the carcass, feathers and all, right?

Quote Originally Posted by g_man668 View Post
    Slightly off topic but has anybody got a good recipe for cooking deer liver for dog treats? Or the easiest way to cook/smoke so they last a reasonable amount of time?
    I had (still have it somewhere) an awesome recipe for deer liver pate...it is pretty simple...ground liver and a chunk of bacon meat ground in as well...lots of sage and garlic..double boil in the oven....I might have missed an ingredient or step but it is that simple and the pate was fantastic

I know a guy who gives his dogs the raw remains of grouse, ducks and all the bloodshot trimmings from deer. As far as I know they haven't had any adverse effects, though they also aren't hunting dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I take it that you skin the grouse, though. You're not giving the dogs the carcass, feathers and all, right?
    Correct, we do the whole step-on-wings cleaning method and clip the wings off, basically they wind up with the breasts and chest cavity and ribs etc. No feathers, feet, or skin etc.

1 pound sliced deer liver, thawed if frozen
    1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 1/2 cups toasted wheat germ
    1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour, plus extra for kneading
    I make these for dogs, because of the liver I do store them in the fridge. I don't add the chicken broth but simmer the liver in a bit of water and then in the blender and add the dry ingredients to the liver water blended mix.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Well been making treats for my dog out of goose and bear and he sure does enjoy them, not a hunting dog but a way better treat then you can buy, I make jerky for him and just did 10 pounds of goose meat.