Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guided k Hunt Recommendation

Guided k Hunt Recommendation

I would like to get my son a guided elk hunt for his graduation this year and I was hoping for advice. He's an experienced hunter, fit and I would be joining him.

Any advice would be appreciated. We live in the Nelson area so it might be nice to see some different area.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Guided k Hunt Recommendation

I don't know how plausible it would be, but I'm dying to do a guided backcountry elk hunt in Montana, but a little more difficult rather than here at home lol

Why guided? You could do one hell of a self guided trip for the same price if you are a BC resident!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    I would like to get my son a guided elk hunt for his graduation this year and I was hoping for advice. He's an experienced hunter, fit and I would be joining him.

Any advice would be appreciated. We live in the Nelson area so it might be nice to see some different area.

My advice for over the years of guided trips out of Country is the same as for buying hunting equipment. Buy once cry once. Do not justify the hunt by the price tag, you get what you pay for. That being said watch the SCI, Sheep show, etc auctions. Which the big ones are over now. You might find some of the smaller chapter auctions. When they list the item the price is inflated but often they go for less, seems like this year especially.

When I was younger I used to pick a price and find a hunt. But after 2 half as trips to the Us for elk and deer I could have gone on 1 excellent trip and most likely been successful on a trophy animal in a trophy unit. But I cheaped out and now have to do it again the way I should have the first time. But I learned my lesson

Do all the research possible on a place and the game like your going to hunt it DIY (maps, population report, talk to biologists etc) then call the outfitter and see if his story matches.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man668 View Post
    I don't know how plausible it would be, but I'm dying to do a guided backcountry elk hunt in Montana, but a little more difficult rather than here at home lol
    From my understanding Montana is trying to lower their elk population and they have a general season that runs over a month long. The public land hunting is getting together.

If I was paying for a hunt it wouldn’t be in Montana. And If I had to go to Montana it’d be private land.

My point being if your paying an outfitter pick a state managed for trophy potential unless you don’t care

The Big Horn Outdoor Adventure Show is in Spokane March 19th, several of Cdn g/o's have booths there, as well as US
    Plan a couple days to really do some shopping
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Fair enough firebird, I didn't know they were trying to get their population down, I just know there's some good genetics of some big bulls in Montana especially near the BC border

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Why guided? You could do one hell of a self guided trip for the same price if you are a BC resident!
    Not everyone knows where to go or how to plan and time this.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man668 View Post
    Fair enough firebird, I didn't know they were trying to get their population down, I just know there's some good genetics of some big bulls in Montana especially near the BC border
    You can hunt Montana no issue as a Non resident. All I know is those flathead elk have short 3rds lol