Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guided k Hunt Recommendation

Re: Guided k Hunt Recommendation

new mexico baby...hands down.

Remember all your guided hunts will be in USD.

Have seen where a Cdn g/o sold hunts to BC huntes at par, but the dollars were closer then
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

One of my good friends lives on Flathead lake in Montana, he is a huge elk hunter there.. I can get some info from him Im sure as he wants me to come down also to do a hunt..

Quote Originally Posted by New Bow Hunter View Post
    Remember all your guided hunts will be in USD.
    This is not entirely correct. All G/O sell their hunts in USD, but that is because the majority of the clients coming to BC are from the US. Most -- not all --outfitters will have a discounted rate in CAD for BC residents. This goes for everything from Black Bear to Stone Sheep. Can't speak for everyone but I've spent a few years in the guiding industry and worked for a few outfits of various size. Haven't seen too many bargains that were actually worth it, but YMMV.

If you are keen on staying in British Columbia, there are a few things to keep in mind. Hopefully some of this applies more to Yanks than it does to a BC Resident hunter, but it's worth saying.

1. You generally get what you pay for - and not always in the "trophy" size sense, but in the professionalism of the Outfitter/Outfit. Small operations with attractive pricing may be good, but you may end up with a sh*t show.

2. The outfitter is going to need to trust that you aren't paying up front to learn the area, so that you can come back with your buddies every year and hammer it. G/O and Resident relations are often fragile. It's your right as a resident to hunt anywhere in the province, but it is their right as a business owner to protect their longevity and livelihood. This will be especially true if you are going to a remote area that see's little pressure -- many areas in the province cannot sustain heavy pressure, or lax "management" i.e up and coming animals repeatedly taken out of the herd.

3. Assuming that you end up with a reputable outfitter...TRUST YOUR GUIDE. If you are a skilled, competent hunter, and your guide isn't a jackass, they will likely take a collaborative approach to decision making on the hunt. While rare, these hunts are the ones that are the most memorable for your guide, and you will likely end up with a lifelong friend. That said, your guide is likely a better hunter than you, and you should trust their instincts. Suggestions and questions are great, but some guy whose killed a couple critters and watched a bunch of TV telling you how you should hunt is a guaranteed way to have a bad hunt. Clients that come in with an open mind, a solid base level of fitness, and a willingness to work their ass off generally end up with the best results.

4. Bring a rifle (or bow) that you know inside and out. Practice out to reasonable distances from field shooting positions, and don't mess with your setup right before your hunt starts. Nothing makes a guide sweat like a client coming into camp and saying "I just bought/built this (typically large magnum) for this hunt". I'd rather have a moose hunter with a .243 they've shot for 40 years, than a sheep hunter with a $10K custom 300RUM that they never shoot.

5. Tips... take this as you will, but generally your guides day rate is "okay" and they rely on tips to really make the season count. Your guide should bust their ass for you, be willing to do the brunt of the work, carry extra things if you (or your boy) cannot, put in 24hr long days when needed etc. On a hunt that goes well -- guide works their ass off, you have a great time, and see success -- 10% of the hunt cost is the standard for tipping. Generally this means 10% of the USD hunt price, and tipped in USD cash, however you can choose how you chop that up. It is 100% appropriate to ask the outfitter before hand, what a typical tip would be for this hunt. If you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't be on the hunt.

I 2nd the CAD$. But not all will and its usually the ones who think they are "big shots" that won't.

Ive even gotten ghosted from some 'big time' outfitters and booking agents (the hunting consortium). I can only assume it was cause i wasn't asking for their banking info to wire some cash immediately. Ive talked to guys in airports going hunting that booked with an agency and don't even know the outfitters name or really where they are going. The same guys were picking my brain about gear and weather.

It doesn't matter what province or country i look for a hunt I get responses back form 50% of the outfitters I initially contact and can fairly quickly narrow it down to 25% that i want to continue to talk with and then there's probably only 2 or 3 that I take into consideration before actually booking. And that leads me into my next point....

Do your research well in advance and then pick your top prospects and sit and wait for a cancellation. And sometimes guys will have never hunted areas of their concessions and you can get an exploratory hunt.

Id also recommend paying for the guiding, food etc. and then having a trophy fee if you harvest an animal. It takes the pressure off the outfitter, yourself, and the animals.

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread

You might want to consider northern BC, Region 7B for the following reasons. It’s in BC. There is an early 3 point (or better) season, your son may be quite satisfied with a great hunting experience topped off with a 3 point bull or 5 point. There’s a wide range of outfitting options available from drop off hunts to fully guided horseback hunts. The Muskwa and Tuchodi can get busy at times with hunters using jet boats.

I highly recommend Doug McKee of Muskwa River Adventures. I have hunted elk with Doug the past two years. Doug operates under the license of Big Nine in their territory based out of Poplar Camp on the Muskwa River. He is very accommodating to BC Resident hunters (like me) and highly capable. Email me if you wish.

Doug can be reached on his cell at 250 775-0760. More info on their website and Facebook page.

http://www.kettleriverguides.com/bc_elk_hunting/

Two hours from you and packages available - great guides.