Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2nd opinion on vet? Advice requested

Re: 2nd opinion on vet? Advice requested

Quote Originally Posted by Greg3093 View Post
    most vets will only tell you of surgery as they get a % when the surgeon does the work.
    Nonsense; it is illegal for veterinarians to demand or offer kickbacks for referral. Our regulatory body, the CVBC, will come down hard on any veterinarian doing so. Please do not make unfounded allegations in a public forum.

My experience with braces has been that the generic ones generally are a poor fit and, as a consequence, do not stabilize the knee properly and lead to pressure sores. Custom fitted ones, like those made by Orthopets do a bit better, but will run >$1500. Braces are a great solution for offering temporary support while something is healing. I like them for aiding patients with torn Achilles tendons after the surgical repair for example. However, a torn cruciate will never heal so the dog would need to wear the brace for life. Braces do not have an infinite lifespan; they will likely need replacement every 2 years and at >$1500 for a decent brace you are looking at the same expense as TPLO surgery over the dog's lifetime, but with a significant worse outcome..

Re: 2nd opinion on vet? Advice requested

My vet recently said I needed my dogs knee done. I’m skeptical by nature,so I sought out a well renowned vet. She said skip xrays to save me money,direct referral to a surgeon at Boundary Bay Vet Specialties. I went and saw him,he did an extensive exam,watched videos I took of my dog walking and running to see the lameness in slow motion. He says knees are fine don’t need xrays or surgery-he’s got a torn groin and some tearing or sprain in the bicep. Walks me next door to their physio department and 4 months later my dog is better than new,for about 1/5 the cost of surgery. A combo of ultra sound,laser,ice,underwater treadmill and then ice. CanWest has a good reputation, just bc you go there does not mean their surgeon will say you need surgery. CanWest and BBVS have vets that are far more highly trained and educated than most vets and local clinics