Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feeding my child racoon.

Re: Feeding my child racoon.

If people knew how the various animals they commonly eat were raised they might think raccoon is a whole lot better .

Quote Originally Posted by Monashee View Post
    If people knew how the various animals they commonly eat were raised they might think raccoon is a whole lot better .
    Yes, raised and processed. You just dont want to know a lot about things that go on in the food industry.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I see nothing wrong with it and actually I would praise a parent for feeding their child wild game even racoon. I would be much more concerned if a parent was not allowing their child wild game meat.

I have killed and eaten frogs and turtles while running kids programs. My family has eaten squirrel on numerous occasions. Beaver is delicious. I can't wait to try cougar. Ant larva was pretty tasteless and would work in a survival situation. And of course moose/deer/bear/sheep/goat/fish are regular meals in our home.

It is so good to teach kids were their food comes from and to open them up to the multiple delights that nature offers.

So props to your ex for feeding your child racoon.

Had raccoon at a game dinner quite a few years ago at Vic Fish & Game.

Prepared properly (ie: defatted a few times) it was quite excellent. The chef that prepared all the meat was a top notch guy, very well regarded by the club.

Nothing to worry about here.

~NH3

I’ve sent my kids to school with cougar sandwiches and snowshoe hare stew. If the raccoons weren’t so disgusting around my place, I’d give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk 3 View Post
    Had raccoon at a game dinner quite a few years ago at Vic Fish & Game.

Prepared properly (ie: defatted a few times) it was quite excellent. The chef that prepared all the meat was a top notch guy, very well regarded by the club.

Nothing to worry about here.

~NH3
    Raccoon and squirrel in Peanut sauce it was. My dad organized those dinners. I enjoyed the coon.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

A couple of months back I was at a breakfast meeting of trappers including a couple of nuisance animal control company owners. I asked one of them how they deal with Raccoon Roundworm. That person deals with perhaps a thousand raccoons every year. Their protocols call for separating their cage traps into raccoon traps and other traps. Raccoon traps are only used for raccoons to avoid having to use infection protocols when trapping other animals. When dealing with traps that have caught raccoons they put on suits, wear gloves and if I recall correctly they wear masks(at least while cleaning the traps). This after having cleaned and disinfected the traps after use. The clothing after use is dealt with so as to avoid bringing possible contamination into contact with their families and other employees.

The person relating this protocol made the point that there is no totally effective treatment for this ringworm infection, the infection is always fatal (unless you die of something else sooner) and that there is no commercially available test short of autopsy to identify Baylisasaris infection as the reason for the infected going blind or the various other neurological problems the infected is suffering. Diagnosis is often made by ruling out all other possibilities.

My interest in the subject was sparked by comments i heard that the 2019 BC Zoonoses Symposium about the high rate of infection in BC raccoons and that two acquaintances who deal with raccoons regularly have similar neurological issues that seem to match symptoms of Baylisasaris infection. In my reading on this subject I encountered an article in I believe "Science" that called this a hidden human parasite. It also reported that testing of 150 or so supposedly otherwise healthy people and found that 7% were infected. I do not remember how they determined the presence of infection.

My new understanding of the potential danger from this particular Zoonosis has definitely changed how I deal with raccoon issues and I was already pretty careful with regards to potential contamination from them. Certainly recognized Baylisasaris infection in humans is rare but appears to considerably more common than expected an the consequences of infection are extreme. Everybody makes their own decisions and takes their own chances but such should be based on some understanding of the risks and consequences if all goes wrong.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Is this a joke? The raccoons I "relocate" (to hell) have been dining on garbage and googled they have a 30% chance of having rabies...I'll eat predators including bear and cougars but raccoons?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I would eat it. Im sure its better for you than chicken wings from 7-11

Quote Originally Posted by 71_camaro View Post
    Hello everyone?.

I'm in a situation where my boy is being fed racoon.
    Is this legal?
    It's by one of the biggest poachers in westbank so I
    Assume as I've never heard of this and are they in season? Is it healthy is this ok.
    I'm a huge hunter but know nothing about raccoons
    Remember the Clampits. They ate possum innards. Best cook the rabies out of them first. Then I'm sure you'd get a half a dozen guys on here saying they eat them all the time.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU