Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding my child racoon.

Re: Feeding my child racoon.

Raccoon Roundworm

wwhat is Raccoon Roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis)?
    Raccoon roundworm is the infection by a roundworm called Baylisascaris procyonis carried by raccoons. This worm can infect people and a variety of other animals, including dogs. Human infections are rare, but can be severe if the worm invades the eye, organs, or the brain. People living in an area where raccoons live are at greatest risk for raccoon roundworm.

How is it spread?

Humans may be infected with raccoon roundworm after eating the eggs of this worm (Baylisascaris procyonis) passed in the feces (waste) of raccoons. Most infections are seen in children and others who may put dirt or animal waste in their mouths by mistake.

What are the symptoms?

Possible signs and symptoms of raccoon roundworm infection include nausea, tiredness, liver enlargement, loss of coordination, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of muscle control, blindness, and coma. Symptoms will develop within 1 to 4 weeks after an exposure.

How is raccoon roundworm treated?

To date, no treatments are known to be completely effective against the disease. Certain medications can help in some cases. Your healthcare provider will discuss your treatment options with you.

How can I prevent raccoon roundworm?

If raccoons are living near your home, you should carefully remove all raccoon feces and any materials that become contaminated with feces. These substances should be buried or thrown away. Care should be taken not to contaminate your hands or clothing, such as wearing rubber gloves and use a shovel while removing feces. Outdoor spaces (such as patios or porches) can be carefully cleaned with boiling water.
    Do not keep, feed, or adopt wild animals, including raccoons, as pets.
    Sandboxes should be covered whenever they are not in use so raccoons and other wild animals do not use them as bathrooms.

Always wash your hands after working or playing outdoors.​

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I can't say I'd eat a city raccoon. Maybe if it was from out in the bush somewhere. The idea of eating something that feeds on garbage seems a little gross to me. Like shooting a bear at the dump.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Cats and dogs are at risk of being infected by roundworm due to their contact with raccoons and their scat and then they can pass it on to a human so i was told by a veterinarian . The vet was all for raccoons to be eliminated anywhere near people ... good luck with that .

Raccoon meat is edible and can be quite good , it depends on what they have been eating and of course if they look healthy. Cook as you would any meat as they very often have internal parasites , I would wear gloves if i skinned and gutted one . I ate raccoon meat many years ago . it was good , this was in a rural district in the fall with plenty of corn and critters to eat along a small river

Watch out for this in your boy......the mustache starts to get about 3" long, about 8 hairs on each side.... eyes get round and beady.

So long as its cooked properly, lots of people eat coon.

hmm in reality should be fine if cooked the same as bear

sharring a child with someone and not being in the house must be the scariest thing in the world.

Seems like there must be alot more to this story.

Everyone should try urban raccoon ....and black squirrel and pigeon and carp and resident geese and ......
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I wouldn't eat one of those vermin. Legal or not, safe or not. Ewwww

Quote Originally Posted by Hadda View Post
    Seems like there must be alot more to this story.

always is but that doesn’t make it right for a kid to be fed trash panda.

Many with strong opinions could say the same thing about bear, cougar, squirrels, and wild game. Well cooked, there's no harm. Who knows, maybe it was a one off thing. Watched meateater, decided to try something weird hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    always is but that doesn’t make it right for a kid to be fed trash panda.