Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Ultralight tents (Seek Outside, Z packs, Hyperlite Mountain

Re: Advice on Ultralight tents (Seek Outside, Z packs, Hyperlite Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Marmot Nitro 2P......
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Talltimber1 View Post
    Why is that? Just curious what your reasoning is as I debated both and ended up going with a floor.

Last year on top of a mountain the wind was blowing the rain right under the tent. I’m sure a lot of this was site selection but I want a tent that is bomber for this season. I want a tent that uses my body weight to hold it to the ground. Last year there was times below tree line where the floorless was better for sure but when we really needed shelter on the top of the mountain it didn’t work as well as I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Last year on top of a mountain the wind was blowing the rain right under the tent. I’m sure a lot of this was site selection but I want a tent that is bomber for this season. I want a tent that uses my body weight to hold it to the ground. Last year there was times below tree line where the floorless was better for sure but when we really needed shelter on the top of the mountain it didn’t work as well as I wanted.
    Ok thanks.

I have the following tents:
    - SO Cimmarrion
    - Hilleberg Niak
    - BA Fly Creek 2 UL

If bugs will be an issue, I take the Fly Creek. I hate floorless shelters when mosquitos are around, but rain isn't an issue with a good camp spot.
    If it's in the shoulder seasons I love the Cimmarrion for it's size/weight, plus my Lite Outdoors stove is awesome for drying gear.
    If it's heavy snow/wind I take the Hilleberg just because it's easier to setup in wind and I think it's a bit more bomb proof.

Hope this helps.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I had a floorless shelter last year for august sheep hunt. I’m buying a shelter with a floor for this year.
    Due to insects?

I ran both the Eolus and the Cimarron last season.
    Here are my thoughts on which one I take.

Eolus: (canopy, cordage, stakes) 1.41 lbs: (/w nest) 2.63 lbs

I want a fast and light setup for use with trekking poles. Great for solo missions, with the wife or hunting buddy.
    Spring bear, summer scouting I use the nest. Nest is so nice when the bugs are intense.
    Later season I can go floorless conditions permitting. Makes for a very light setup.
    The nest helps when it's cold and breezy as it cuts the draft a bit.
    Eolus with its gap to ground has good airflow and reduces condensation.
    Easy to pack up and move on everyday. If I'm staying in same spot more than one day, I can easily cut two sticks and free up my trekking poles.
    Generally, days are long, nights are short, so I'm in the shelter mainly to sleep.

Cimarron: (canopy, stakes, cordage, carbon pole) 3.44 lbs (/w large u-turn stove) 5.56 lbs

I take out this setup when the days are shorter, nights are longer or chances of crappy weather is higher.
    More inclined to set up in a spot for more than a day, just a bit more work to pack the stove.
    I went with 2 door model which helps accessing interior for whatever reason wind/rain/stacking wood.

Big plus for floorless is peeing out of your sleeping bag and not having to get up when it's cold out.

Mark-R : Big plus for floorless is peeing out of your sleeping bag and not having to get up when it's cold out.

REALLY !
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Mark-R : Big plus for floorless is peeing out of your sleeping bag and not having to get up when it's cold out.

REALLY !
    RJ
    I think this is quite common for a lot of folks. I keep hearing stories about guys using a piss bottle as well that they empty out in the morning.

My brother ran into a guy at work this past year who got out of his tent to piss in the middle of the night and his tent blew away with a bunch of his gear after he got out. He ended up walking a couple of ridges over to where he saw another guy set up his tent the night before to borrow a few things and hiked out that night or early the next morning. I’m still not using a piss bottle.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I think this is quite common for a lot of folks. I keep hearing stories about guys using a piss bottle as well that they empty out in the morning.

My brother ran into a guy at work this past year who got out of his tent to piss in the middle of the night and his tent blew away with a bunch of his gear after he got out. He ended up walking a couple of ridges over to where he saw another guy set up his tent the night before to borrow a few things and hiked out that night or early the next morning. I’m still not using a piss bottle.
    A PISS bottle is quite acceptable ! - PISSING just out of your sleeping bag in your tent is PURE Laziness and GROSS ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by revyhunter View Post
    Looking at changing my tent setup this year. Does anyone have experience with any of the following?

Seek Outside Eolus/Eolus UL

Seek Outside Lil' Bug Out

Seek Outside Cimarron UL

Z packs Duplex

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 2

I mainly do backcountry hike-in hunts and am looking to drop some weight off my pack. Any other UL suggestions are welcome.
    What are you using now?

I really don’t think you can beat the versatility of a free standing tent. They seem to be the best all around option. I bought a Cimarron this year, but I know there’s places I’ve camped before where the weather rolled in or it got late and I would’ve been pretty hard pressed to find a spot to set up the Cimarron. The tipis really shine for weight and usable space. I’m heading out for a six dayer with my son next month and I’m going to try out the Cimarron, we may stay in the alpine, maybe not. If it works well than I’m going to bring it for a ten dayer in September. There is the bug and rain factor too, where site selection might have a bigger role in deciding where to camp.

Im not trying to knock tipi tents, but they’re definitely not the end all be all. You realistically need two good quality tents and choose between the two depending on season, weather and where you’re going.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.