Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New fixed blade?

Re: New fixed blade?

take a look at Cutco ... I have 4 different models (including a terrific adjustable fillet knife) and they have been fantastic.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Ive used a Falkiven F1 for about 6 years now. Love this knife. Has a convex edge that holds better than any other knife ive used.

I have been watching quite a few videos of this Japanese guy from Hokkaido.
    He is a knife expert and a hunter, he usually re-sharpen his new knives to his liking.
    Very interesting to watch, he usually starts his videos saying "hello knife people"
    Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRRMdftnTs
    and a bunch of his other videos, I find it pretty entertaining.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/virtuovice/videos
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I was in the same boat, shopping for a good solid hunting knife. I ended up going full custom with a 2 knife matching set (skinner/caper). They cost nearly as much as my custom rifle, but after 2 years of use, and still razor sharp and have never needed resharpening, I’m sold. The steel is a s35vn, it’s gibberish to me, but it has proven itself.

https://imgur.com/a/KwdNUE3

Quote Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
    Go on amazon and order some Mora's. Cheap, but good knives. Carbon or stainless to choose from with different blade thickness. Use mine for all sorts of different things without worrying about them. keep a Lansky diamond rod sharpener and you're good to go.
    I checked it out and the reviews were top notch. I didn't need one as I have 3 buck knives but couldn't resist so I ordered the heavy duty companion along with the diamond rod and a Lanskey puck for good measure . Thanks for making me spend my money for no reason...

I kicked tires for about 2 years about getting a custom knife, while looking at the Helle Utvaer knives as well. Could not talk myself into the cost of either option.
    Earlier this year I was looking on the Canadian Outdoor Equipment web site and noticed that they sell knife blanks. Ready made knife, just add a handle, at a fraction of the cost.

I ended up buying a few blanks and used parracord to wrap the handles. They turned out nice, and are still light weight. Don't know why I waited soooo long to do this, but never before saw the option of the knife blanks.
    You could always make a wooden/composite handle or they also have kits with complete wood, just glue and shape.
    VERY sharp knife, while I have not had a chance to use it yet outdoors, I cannot wait for the opportunity to do so.

A lot of great custom knife makers out there. But, for the money, it's pretty hard to beat the Gerber swing blade. Medium soft steel so there easy to touch up with a good quality steel. And you can get these blades straight razor sharp. Unzip a deer or moose like a hot knife though butter. Every person that I've lent my knife to or let borrow in the field, has gone out and bought one. (The fixed blade not the replaceable blade model )

Not trying to offend those people that buy custom knives ,some are a work of art for sure , but at such a high price point you lay that puppy down in the midst of fields dressing and can’t find it geeeezzzzzz.......
    Plenty of decent knives out there at a good price point ! Just saying
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Any thoughts on the Buck "Woodsman" with a 4 inch fixed blade ?

Mr Conservation
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted" Jose Ortega y Gasset - Meditations on Hunting

Check out any of the Morakniv knives, the price is right so you aren’t afraid to ding it up and the sheath locks good. They are available in stainless and carbon in different lengths. I got the Morakniv companion in carbon steel ($26 Amazon) and did a apple cider patina on the blade, I’m really happy with it. If you look them up online they have a cult like following.