Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New fixed blade?

New fixed blade?

Looking for a new fixed blade knife. Not sure what to get. Looking to get something 3-4 inch blade. I’m not looking for a specific bushcraft knife or field dressing knife. Something for just general outdoor use, not splitting logs, and maybe opening up a deer or elk if I forget my Havalon. I’d like it to hold a sharp edge and not be to hard to sharpen. I don’t now much about different knife steels. Also would like a good quality leather sheath, maybe one that hangs down abit to clear a backpack waist belt. I was thinking maybe a Helle, Fallkniven, maybe a Benchmade Puukko or something similar, or a north arm lynx,or a custom.
    Any ideas or suggestions? Any site members or sponsors make knives?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New fixed blade?

I use a north arm lynx as my general duty knife. It’s a nice blade and made in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    I use a north arm lynx as my general duty knife. It’s a nice blade and made in BC
    I know they make good knives. I just picked up 2 kitchen knives from them. So far they have been excellent.

I too use the north arm lynx and take it hunting, fishing and camping and have been very pleased with it.

I bought a north arm lynx but haven't had chance to use it on game yet. Fit and feel are great for me. Also have their mallard bird and trout knife that I have used a lot for dressing fish and have been very happy with that knife so far. North arm have provided great customer service when I needed a knife shipped to me and when I wanted to pick another one up.

I have been using a bob dozier buffalo river knife for past few seasons and it has been great

Anybody have any experience with cpm s35vn steel?

Hmm custom knife maker here in Williams Lake..Mr. Marty Beets...I love the crucible steel he uses..takes a wicked edge..holds that edge..I ended up with 3 of his fixed blades..all terrific..
    he takes extreme pride in his workmanship..not meant for prying or batoning
    If going for a fixed blade survival knife..Bog Dog with d2 steel...batoning , prying..surviving with 1 knife this would be IT..rubber respirine handle..think tire tread material..a bitch to sharpen..but a joy to use.
    Cheers
    Srupp

There are plenty of great Canadian makers out there to pick from. I personally go with grohmann knives when I'm buying for myself or gifts for others.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Also, gunnutz usually has some nice stuff on the ee.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.