Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone out there hunting rabbits?

Re: Anyone out there hunting rabbits?

Low part of the cycle around Kamloops like everyone says. My buddy trained me in winter rabbit hunting. We go high with the sleds and hunt the willows and tight stuff. The key is to look for the eye, not the whole rabbit. Once you get dialed in you will see a beady little black eye looking at you and that's where you aim. Don't aim for the body because the rabbit will run and get down its hole. Head shots are the way to go, with a 22 anyway.
    A few years ago was pretty easy hunting.

Last edited by lovemywinchester; 02-14-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks for the posts guys

Only managed a couple of bunnies this past season, now sitting indoors for the past 2 months with a newborn has me itching to get back out and I figure a little day trip for winter rabbits would be fun (and an acceptable proposition to my wife haha )

Haha im right there with ya!
    ~Wes

Subbed... shot my first game ever aug 31, couple snowshoe hare... no idea how to winter hunt them, they were sitting ducks on the side of the road before... they’re pretty tasty
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Haha im right there with ya!
    Recent pup? Congrats!

I’m wondering if I return to the areas I’ve shot them in August might I find them there in winter months? I have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Subbed... shot my first game ever aug 31, couple snowshoe hare... no idea how to winter hunt them
    Personally,there is only one way to hunt them.....that's with dogs.

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Low part of the cycle around Kamloops like everyone says. My buddy trained me in winter rabbit hunting. We go high with the sleds and hunt the willows and tight stuff. The key is to look for the eye, not the whole rabbit. Once you get dialed in you will see a beady little black eye looking at you and that's where you aim. Don't aim for the body because the rabbit will run and get down its hole. Head shots are the way to go, with a 22 anyway.

Now that's impressive....

I got out yesterday for a few hours, the only way I've had success in the winter is to find an area with a lot of tracks, almost always really thick new growth with willow and poplar thickets. Then I work the edges trying to spot a hare before he bolts. Yesterday I came across a good spot on the downslope side of a road passing through a cutblock. I actually set up on a glassing point and glassed the area, following the tracks with the binocular into thickets and regrowth. I didn't find any by glassing but as I moved down into the cut one was spotted under a slash pile at 15m or so and the 17HMR put a nice hare in the freezer. Snowshoes are needed to to hunt snowshoe hares in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post

as lovemywinchester says, look for the eye. I also find the ears can be off white enough to be a good thing to look for. If they are laying flat, the bunny is relaxed and you can get away with moving around for a better shot. As soon as they go up, it's ready to run, so stop moving and try not to make eye contact.
    If you have a bit of fresh snow, tracking can be very productive. Just cover lots of ground and when you find fresh running tracks, follow them.

great photo lovemywinchester, yup that's exactly how the day goes when the population cycle is at its peak and you get into the right habitat.
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

I hit up rabbits pretty good I use my 20 gauge or i snare them decent amount up here in 7b