Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lower mainland Kokanee 2020

Re: Lower mainland Kokanee 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    All Provincial parks are closed, unfortunately.
    Golden Ears was open until Friday morning.

Closed now. Just ran the trails from rock ridge towards Golden Ears and signs posted on the trail system stating park closed

Yes. That's a bummer

BC Parks

3 hrs ·

BC Parks Response to COVID 19: Full BC Parks System Closure
    BC Parks is immediately closing the entire BC Parks system, including all parks, protected areas, conservancies, recreation areas, and ecological reserves. All camping (front and backcountry) is now banned until May 31st, 2020. This action is being taken in response to the call for increased action to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
    With the desire of the public to get outdoors, many parks have already experienced peak season levels of use that have resulted in overwhelmed parking lots, trails and trailheads, making physical distancing difficult, if not impossible in some locations. It has also resulted in damage to our facilities and the environment.
    This closure is also necessary to ensure the continued health and safety of our visitors, employees, park operators and their staff, volunteers, and park contractors. By taking this action, we align with federal and provincial directives for people to stay home to reduce COVID-19 transmission risk.
    This temporary measure means public and vehicle access is prohibited until further notice. All trails, roads, day-use areas, beaches, lakes, boat launches, and backcountry areas are closed to the public. Park closures will be enforced through regular monitoring and patrols and anyone found in a closed park will be evicted and could face a $115 fine.
    In addition to the full system closure, the campground closure has been extended to May 31st, 2020. Full refunds will continue to be automatically provided to those with existing reservations during this time. Please do not initiate a request for refund. The Discover Camping reservation system has been suspended for all new reservations. A public notice will be issued once facilities are reopened and the system is able to accept new reservations.
    BC Parks continues to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic closely and is following the recommendations set out by the Provincial Health Officer and the Minister of Health for decisions related to closure and reopening of parks and facilities.

Good Old Outdoors "I was so puckered up down betweenst my butt cheeks I could have made a world class diamond that Beyonce herself couldn't even handle."

Took one of my sisters to Kawkawa on Saturday for her birthday to try and catch her first fish at her request. Couldn't find any schools of Kokanee except one that I marked twice and it was small. Couldn't find it again after that. Couldn't get them to bite anywhere. Third time at Kawkawa and third time with a kokanee skunk.
    She did have a lot of fun and did get to fight a few fish. She thoroughly enjoyed herself which made the trip a success. But I couldn't help but to feel frustrated.
    I used a red kokanee hoochie which caught the coho and the red blade with flash sticker caught the trout. Changed to a double bladed wedding band and tried a chartreuse hoochie with a blade as well. But no kokanee.
    Also dropped the crayfish traps with some cured roe as bait. Not a single crayfish.

Not sure if it's just my timing for that lake or if there is a trick I'm missing.
    I've had good success on Alouette. Have caught kokanee or limited out on kokanee everytime except once?.........any suggestions to help me out?

Ekul246

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Took one of my sisters to Kawkawa on Saturday for her birthday to try and catch her first fish at her request. Couldn't find any schools of Kokanee except one that I marked twice and it was small. Couldn't find it again after that. Couldn't get them to bite anywhere. Third time at Kawkawa and third time with a kokanee skunk.
    She did have a lot of fun and did get to fight a few fish. She thoroughly enjoyed herself which made the trip a success. But I couldn't help but to feel frustrated.
    I used a red kokanee hoochie which caught the coho and the red blade with flash sticker caught the trout. Changed to a double bladed wedding band and tried a chartreuse hoochie with a blade as well. But no kokanee.
    Also dropped the crayfish traps with some cured roe as bait. Not a single crayfish.

Not sure if it's just my timing for that lake or if there is a trick I'm missing.
    I've had good success on Alouette. Have caught kokanee or limited out on kokanee everytime except once?.........any suggestions to help me out?

Ekul246
    Have you tried the top 10ft of water? You might not be marking any on your fish finder because they might be shallow.

Hmmm..... Maybe. Might try again this fall. don't have much find this season.

I typically troll Kawkawa at 30' to 35' regardless of where sounder is showing fish. I use a Dogtail flasher and a small dick nite spoon with one kernel of corn, with a 19" to 22" leader and rarely have a problem getting my limit in 2 or 3 hours of fishing. Speed is important, .9 to 1.2 mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Hmmm..... Maybe. Might try again this fall. don't have much find this season.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    I typically troll Kawkawa at 30' to 35' regardless of where sounder is showing fish. I use a Dogtail flasher and a small dick nite spoon with one kernel of corn, with a 19" to 22" leader and rarely have a problem getting my limit in 2 or 3 hours of fishing. Speed is important, .9 to 1.2 mph.
    Thanks for the info. Does that also go for spring?