Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower mainland Kokanee 2020

Lower mainland Kokanee 2020

Looking to start my second season of targeting Kokanee. Hopefully I'll get out more than 2 or 3 times this year. Is it still too early to give Alouette a try?
    Do you think they will drop the lake down like they did last year?
    I would like to try and get as much spring Kokanee fishing in as I can cuz once the big boats got out on the lake in early to mid-june last year, they made the water very rough. That added to the wind in the afternoon made it tough to navigate the lake. Not impossible. But tough

I also picked up a small Scotty downrigger and a 3lb ball last fall. Can't wait to give it it's first try!
    Ekul246
    Last edited by ekul246; 02-12-2020 at 07:41 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lower mainland Kokanee 2020

Go try Kakawa Lake in Hope ...Nice Kokanee ...Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Go try Kakawa Lake in Hope ...Nice Kokanee ...Dennis
    It is March 1st for Kokanee on Kawkawa. That won't be too early?

Years ago I used to fish it in Mar and Apr...Used chironomid patterns ..Late April it gets too busy ..Pick your nice days and go for it when it opens ...You can use whatever you catch kokanee on ...What have you got to loose ?...Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    It is March 1st for Kokanee on Kawkawa. That won't be too early?
    If this year has a 29 February then you can begin fishing Kawkawa on 29 February.

As long as there is enough ice off to get the boat in the water then the first week is the best on chiro's and little red micro leeches with a gold bead - slow strip on a slime line or slow trolled.

Otherwise, drop pink bait to 12-18" off the bottom.

Will the Kokanee tend to be near the surface or in the top half of the water column this time of year? Was thinking of trying to bobber fish with krill, jig for them or maybe shallow trolling. Try to cover all my bases.

Did the lake freeze at all this year?

Kokey will be feeding high and low at the beginning of the season but by the end of March you're likely only to find them deeper down. That first week is the best on the fly but you have to be careful because people mistake the small Coho that love the fly, to be Sockeye. Remember, there is no opening for Coho so know how to identify your little salmon.

In past years I've heard of CO's inspecting catches and ticketing the Coho killers.

You will also find some super fun dry fly action at times for the little salmon within the first two weeks. At times the water is percolating with surfacing fish. A 3wt is great for this action.

I drove by the lake in mid Dec and there was open water and given that we didn't get that long term cold spell this year, I expect the water to be open or mostly open now but I haven't been by the lake recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Kokey will be feeding high and low at the beginning of the season but by the end of March you're likely only to find them deeper down. That first week is the best on the fly but you have to be careful because people mistake the small Coho that love the fly, to be Sockeye. Remember, there is no opening for Coho so know how to identify your little salmon.

In past years I've heard of CO's inspecting catches and ticketing the Coho killers.

You will also find some super fun dry fly action at times for the little salmon within the first two weeks. At times the water is percolating with surfacing fish. A 3wt is great for this action.

I drove by the lake in mid Dec and there was open water and given that we didn't get that long term cold spell this year, I expect the water to be open or mostly open now but I haven't been by the lake recently.
    Last year the lake was frozen into March so I wasn't able to get out there.
    I was out there last April and was catching the coho. The lake was like you said, just "percolating" with rises. I was having an absolute blast just watching my bobber get pulled right down as the coho were destroying the krill I had on. I let them all go as I was unable to find any info on retention.

If they are landlocked why wouldn't they allow any retention?
    T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7XxDwWZcU

this is a short vid on the difference between the kokanees and cohos

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7XxDwWZcU

this is a short vid on the difference between the kokanees and cohos

Thanks for the vid. Had a ton of fun hooking the cohos last April. I was alone, but I was laughing and giggling like a school girl with those fish jumping and pulling the bobber down and fighting on the ultralight. I could see as the school would move away from the boat and then from one side to another and I'd cast to the other side and they would pull the bobber down again after a few seconds. It was nuts! Most fun I've had fishing, possibly ever!