Thread: Silver lake/Skagit rd

Silver lake/Skagit rd

I heard that the road was washed out really bad rite now. Can anyone confirm this and if so where abouts and how long until its planning to be fixed. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Silver lake/Skagit rd

Its closed near the end of the pavement about km 1.5. They're working on it now the security guy I talked to the other day didn't know for sure how long it would be closed but when I asked if it would be days or weeks he said weeks. There's a ton of slides and washouts apparently. Every creek in the area seems to have had debris flows, some not so bad some major. Its probably quite the mess out there.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Thanks Salty! Hopefully it’s fixed sooner than later. If anyone finds out when it’s done that would be great.

from the fires I imagine? anyone heard if and how bad those fires and subsequent slides affected the fishing on the Skagit?

I was all the way back to the lake in early Dec with my daughter looking for critters. Didn't see much in the way of burns but MANY more clear cuts since the last time I was in there. And Ross lake wasn't, stumps for miles!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I went this summer with my son. I'd never been before. There was no lake! We fished the river and had fun though. Apparently the least water held back in 30 years or something - according to the forest service guy there.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    from the fires I imagine? anyone heard if and how bad those fires and subsequent slides affected the fishing on the Skagit?
    No the slides they're working on are near the start of the road in healthy forests, the fires don't start for 30 km out there. Its just so steep and unstable out there that too much rain makes slides. There was 6 inches of rain over a couple days most of it coming one night plus a lot of snow melt with it. Maybe there's slides at the back end by the fires too I don't know. But for now they're working on a bunch within the first 10 kms.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this