Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BRM for Garmin 66i

Re: BRM for Garmin 66i

I was once a fool relying on my phone and a gps app. Went on a solo hunt for mule deer with the intentions on going to a spot I was familiar with. Got a bit mixed up with the side roads and ended up parking at a dead end in a different spot I had never been. Fired up my trusty app and headed off.

needless to say when it came time to work my way back to the truck it was no where to be found-couldn’t even find a road and the “gps” couldn’t guide me back to my dropped pin, for whatever reason it went bonkers. Could see nothing but Christmas trees and it was getting late in the day by now. The phone running the gps killed my battery and by the time I noticed it only had a few % left which lasted a solid one minute before it shut off lol

ended up getting to a vantage point and spotted the power line that I know crossed the main road at some point so headed for that, once again had no clue to follow left or right but guessed correct and eventually made it back. Totally wrong area, there are enough roads around that I wouldn’t have been screwed forever but it scared the crap out of me. Bought a garmin inreach after that adventure lol

long winded but don’t trust your phone/app

I've been playing with this for a few days now. Damn nice piece of kit. It does help that I've used a lot of Garmin equipment before. It's intuitive but it's not your iphone.

I switched from an inreach/Garmin Rino combo to the 66i before last season. I was happy with the functions and battery life. My backroad map books chip that I bought years ago was not compatible with the 66i software. Backroads map books sold me a new chip at a discount, and I resold mine to a buddy with an older gps. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the 66i has different application software than the older gas units like the 64x ect. Enjoy your new device.

I'm also want to pick up a 66i. The Birdseye imagery sounds pretty nifty.
    How large of an area can you download per image?
    I've read online that its capped at 250mb file, which is about 93 sq miles (233sq km), but toddbartell has mentioned in other threads that he's got about 9 sq km downloaded.

Thanks!

I haven't played with birdseye much. That's my next thing. Works great on the road for driving directions too..

I've only used the birdeye on the free trial that came with my gps. It would have been nice and I would have probably paid for the subscription, except the download speed to get the imagery was so painfully slow from Birdseye that it was all but useless. Anyone know if this has changed?

I forgot, much of the Birdseye imagery in Canada was taken during winter, so covered in snow. They've apparently updated the imagery this year, not sure if it's any different.