Thread: Homemade Remote Control Wingers

Homemade Remote Control Wingers

Since I do almost all my training alone, its getting hard to do decent marks for my pup and have her remain at my side to I can closely watch her and work on her steadiness. I'm about to start teaching triples and working towards a Senior Hunter, so I needed some help to be able to do more challenging set ups. I would have like to have purchased a few commercially produced wingers but at several hundred bucks each plus shipping, plus the electronics its just a little steep for me. And there's tons of threads on other sites where guys have made similar homemade rigs, so lots of info out there.

So my materials for all 3 was $297 "sealed lead acid rechargeable batteries, parts needed to build my electronics, releases, HD theraband tube, hardware, and emt. Took me a day to make the first one and made the other two frames in about 3 hours today. My wife made the pouches for me with material she had at home.

The first winger "the smaller of the three" is 48" long and was able to launch a widgeon 20 yards with a nice arc, and a bumper around 30. I can control the release and buzzer remotely from 125 yards, haven't tried any further. I tweaked the design a bit on the other two frames "60" long" so I can get a little more distance and a higher arc. They fold up quite nicely and I can load all 3 on my game cart and move them around with ease. They each take about 2 minute to set up, and no longer to load than a real winger. I'll finish the two larger ones up this week and see how they go, but I expect Ill get about 25 yards with a hi arc.

Last edited by Ron.C; 02-09-2020 at 08:52 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Homemade Remote Control Wingers

Nice job,,,,you obviously have better skills for building that kind of stuff than I do! haha

Just wondering,,,,is it the flight of the bird that your dog is breaking on or the gun shot?
    Last edited by mastercaster; 02-10-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Re: Homemade Remote Control Wingers

She pretty steady, but did break a couple times when I was shooting from a layout. More concerned with a bit of creep at this point
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-11-2020 at 08:04 AM.