Thread: Noob + Goose = ?

Question Noob + Goose = ?

So, goose season is almost upon us and this here noob is going to take a bow for a hike. If you were going to advise a newbie (to hunting, to bows, to geese....) - what would you have to say? TIA.

(Edit: you can assume I have a bow, arrows, time at a range, CORE, Licence, etc.)
    Last edited by HappyFish; 02-09-2020 at 07:52 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Noob + Goose = ?

I was interested to know that bows are allowed for migratory birds. According to the Hunting and Trapping Synopsis (page 16) you must use: "Bow D (Longbow, Recurve, Compound) - Must have pull of no lessthan 18 kg (40 lbs) within the archer’s draw length. For big game, musthave an arrow with a broadhead at least 2.2 cm (7/8 in) at the widestpoint."

I wonder, are you going to try to take them on the wing with an arrow? I looked this up on YouTube and there are videos of hunters hitting them on the fly. Very impressive.
    Last edited by silveragent; 02-10-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Bow hunting birds. Need flu-flu arrows.
    watch Fred eichler on YouTube. He’s the man when it comes to bird hunting with a bow
    probably not many waterfowl bow hunters out there. Will be difficult
    shoot then standing with gobbler guilotine broad head maybe haha

i think your going for a hike with your bow

You will have to keep us posted on this, I like the idea of doing this.

For what it's worth...... I shoot "traditional" and at a few of our interior shoots we do bow birds with fluflus. It's fun but hard! If you are shooting on the wing, you might want to practice a little, I often do better as I get used to leading targets after a few rounds.......no matter how good you are, or think you are, static targets are way easier.
    Fluflus for sure, I would not want a regular fletched arrow that I wanted back, to be unstopped. Fluflus slow quickly and almost always land straight up and easily found.

Well I for one hope you attempt this somewhere other than lower mainland. The last thing we need is another bird flying around with an arrow sticking out of it. The leaf lockers are just salavating over a screw up like this.

I think Red_Mist is most likely correct! No, I don't intend to just try & Shoot them out of the skies with regular arrows... that's way beyond what I think I'm capable of.

Hats off to ya. Sounds like a hell of a challenge. I hear pnbrock's concern. Pretty easy to cripple a bird with a shotgun. I expect its very possible with a bow as well. Id make sure crippled bird retrieval is high on the list. Not sure where you are hunting, but if your on Van Isle, drop me a PM. Id happily tag along with my lab.

There is a fellow on bowsite that has taken over 80 geese with bow, and posts some of his storys.

Every noob needs a boob
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach