Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody target smaller animals?

Does anybody target smaller animals?

I'm sitting here looking at some moose I have left over from 2018 and wondering what I'm going to do with it. This moose was a bit bigger than every other one I've shot and it's tougher and has less flavour than any other. It's not gamy or anything, just hard to chew through. The chuck roasts and stuff were good that I cooked for 4-5 hours, but most of the steaks were too chewy for the family to eat up.

Fast forward to 2019 moose and this one was definitely a mature bull, just not nearly as old and it's better than anything you can buy on a grocery store shelf. Round roasts cook up nice, shitty steaks cook up good on a frying pan or the BBQ, lots of flavour, couldn't be happier.

So im thinking, moving into next year I'll turn down any monsters and go for a smaller one. I know it probably won't happen, because I'd rather have a full freezer of tough meat than eat tag soup all winter. There is a plus side to turning down the first animal you see, you get to spend more days hunting. Lol

who else turns down big animals?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Does anybody target smaller animals?

I wish I could turn down the big ones. Like you though, A full freezer means the family has something to chew on during the cold months.
    Firearms and fishing rods, my idea of a good time!

I’m the same as Murph83. I find younger animals taste better. I’m a meat hunter so the less trips I have make the better. But given the opportunity to shoot a larger animal I won’t turn it down. I just seem to run into all the young ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    I’m the same as Murph83. I find younger animals taste better. I’m a meat hunter so the less trips I have make the better. But given the opportunity to shoot a larger animal I won’t turn it down. I just seem to run into all the young ones.
    I alternate years this past season was a great one so I’m good I shot all meat animals one 4 point but not a monster. This next season I won’t shoot anything small except maybe one whitetail doe.

I hammer the first legal animal or two I see (unless it's a female with young one(s)) I see to fill the freezer then save my last tag for something special....if the meat is tough or has a bad texture I just turn the whole thing to ground or mix with pork for sausage....

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I hammer the first legal animal or two I see (unless it's a female with young one(s)) I see to fill the freezer then save my last tag for something special....if the meat is tough or has a bad texture I just turn the whole thing to ground or mix with pork for sausage....
    Same here. I usually dont have enough time to be too choosey so its fill the freezer first and foremost.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Arrow Re: Does anybody target smaller animals?

Only ever shot one "big" moose. His antlers were 64 inches across, and his meat was like old worn out hunting boots.
    Never ever again.
    Hunting moose I will pass anything on the larger side in favor of an immature or just mature animal

Hunting out of Province, i am there for the largest I can find, and will pass anything less than what I desire.
    Case in point: this year's Alberta Mulie Tag hanging on the Christmas tree.

Here, on The Rock, I also tend to look for a good mature Blacktail.
    Extends my time out there, and that, to me, is the most precious of all.

When I make my annual pilgrimage to the OK for the late bow season, I am not overly fussy.
    Sure, if a Big Buck wanders within range, i will take him if I can.
    But if his much younger brother does first, game over.
    Only take dry does though, have a personal thing with harvesting any wet doe of any variety.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I'm sitting here looking at some moose I have left over from 2018 and wondering what I'm going to do with it. This moose was a bit bigger than every other one I've shot and it's tougher and has less flavour than any other. It's not gamy or anything, just hard to chew through. The chuck roasts and stuff were good that I cooked for 4-5 hours, but most of the steaks were too chewy for the family to eat up.

Fast forward to 2019 moose and this one was definitely a mature bull, just not nearly as old and it's better than anything you can buy on a grocery store shelf. Round roasts cook up nice, shitty steaks cook up good on a frying pan or the BBQ, lots of flavour, couldn't be happier.

So im thinking, moving into next year I'll turn down any monsters and go for a smaller one. I know it probably won't happen, because I'd rather have a full freezer of tough meat than eat tag soup all winter. There is a plus side to turning down the first animal you see, you get to spend more days hunting. Lol

who else turns down big animals?
    I never hunted moose, because I did a lot of solo hunting.
    I agree if the big old animals don't taste good, may as well pass.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

2018 moose in question. Not by any means a monster compared to big yukon bulls, but still an old man.

This years moose for reference
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I posted a story on here once. I recall saying "i aimed for the smallest, tastiest looking one".