Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mountain Goat and Mule Deer Success

2019 Mountain Goat and Mule Deer Success

ive been on the site for a while and always enjoy seeing others pictures i thought i should share some of mine as well. I know other have had issues posting pictures and i was no different, there was several hours and a lot of swearing figuring this out so hopefully this works.

started the season with a highway Stone Sheep hunt up north, no animals were harmed in this one but it was a good trip overall, saw lots of sheep and really got to learn the terrain. many mistakes were made and we got sh*t kicked a little with high water and bushwacking.

Second trip was a kootenays mountain goat hunt, we had 2 LEH tags and set out into a road closure area planning on 6 days. day 1 we saw 40ish goats and left us thinking it would be no problem getting 2 billys, boy were we wrong. the weather was terrible with snow, wind, rain, and the dreaded fog almost the entire time. after a long hike to where we say the goats they had left the area, not sure why but the slopes were filled with bear digs so maybe they got spooked. we did run into 1 grizzly at about 25-30 yards but it was more concerned about us and didnt bother sticking around. anyways we figured the goats relocated to the other slopes so back down we went and up the other valley. we did end of finding them but only very young billys. the last evening we saw a lone goat was up top and were able to confirm he was a more mature billy so we made a plan to get after him in the morning.

The billy was sitting on the other side of that outcropping but no way to access this or see him from here.

our plan was not the best to get to him although we didn't have much of a choice, it was 6km of heavy blowdown and a lot of elevation but we made it. the weather did not help as the entire accent was in thunder showers. we got very lucky and the sun broke through at the top and we were able to dry off.

we pulled off the packs and crawled around the corner and he was exactly where we say him the night before. he spotted us but was not concerned.i wont get into the details of the shot but he went down with some help from my hunting partner. i was sent climbing up a rock face to where he was bedded to find a missing horn.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2019 Mountain Goat and Mule Deer Success

the hike down was ugly with soaking wet boots but the excitement of a goat in the pack kept us going well into the dark. the part that made it worse was we didn't have the choice to stay another night as my partner had a wedding to get to. so camp was packed up and we started the mountain bike ride out. i think in total the day ended in 12km of hiking and 14km of bike ride getting us back at the truck way to late. a tough hunt but well worth it and would happily do it again next year if we get some tags.

Nov Mule Deer

This one started out Nov 1 moose hunting in an area we know well and generally deer hunt in late Nov. we hunted several days with no sign of any moose but knowing the area we knew there may be a chance at a buck. not much to this story, sitting in a slash this guy was in the tree line at 250yards. hit him a little low but he only went 20 yards or so and down he went. nice heavy rack but to me the body is more impressive, this thing had to be close to 300 lbs.

Wow that is a heavy old deer! What region did he come from? If you dont mind me asking.....

Nice animals. Congrats.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Congratulations on a successful hunting season. That’s a solid buck and looks old.

Thanks for sharing.
    Live to Hunt...

Great pics! Both nice animals.

Hog of a body on that Buck .Heavy dark horns.Nice going on the Goat. Better man than I am.

Looks like you had a great season, congrats.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

That's a beauty buck!!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

�������� a few thumbs up there! Nice work