Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Start My 2020 Sheds Hunting Year ..

Re: The Start My 2020 Sheds Hunting Year ..

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Hello Wayne ...I have a question...Ive noticed you find an awful lot of 5 pt sheds ...Not many 6 pt sheds ..Do you have a theory as to why ?...Also JR Koop went out shed hunting and him and a friend found lots of sheds ..same thing ...lots of 5 pt sheds..Do you think the older bulls 6 pointers are getting killed by wolves as they are more run down after the rut and are an easy target for wolves..Then maybe they dont make it to winter grounds ?...Just interested in your thoughts ....Dennis
    Elknut yes and no to some of your question,,my thoughts where JR Koop found all these elk sheds was in a remote area no shed hunter within this area to pick up the past years antler drop offs they

found a honey hole that no others have found over the past years and there has to be a good number of elk within this area to drop this many antlers in March ,April ,May the past years..

If JR Koop was shed hunting in the northern part of BC many places that carry good numbers of bull elk are not in high mountains as the likes of the EK

Here in the EK the big bulls stay up in hi country where the snow depth is deep in the winter months very few of them big bulls don't come down to lower elevations some do but very few.

Why so many 5 point antlers I find my thoughts is have not made it into adult age to carry a 6 point set of antlers and most of these 5 point elk sheds I find are from local bulls that don't
    leave to go up into the high elevation when the snow starts declining in April there called local bulls some of these bulls with new growth this year will be a legal bull this fall to shoot in the GOS
    but not all..

All the pressure in GOS is on 6 point bulls and yes big herd bulls do get worn down after the rut and yes some do die or fall prey to predators from not being able to recover their body weight.

Your correct on predators taking some of the big bulls and predators do take smaller bulls as well ,,it's just not winter time that elk or deer fall prey to predators it's the whole calendar year
    that weak or healthy bulls, cows or deer are killed by predators..

Wolves will take down the weak or the strong they keep on running after their prey till the prey is exhausted then its game over..hope this answers your question somewhat
    this is my thoughts on your question on why..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 05-18-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Thanks for all the great content Wayne.

We excited when we fire up YouTube on the TV in our living room and see new shed hunt videos from you. Always a great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Thanks for all the great content Wayne.

We excited when we fire up YouTube on the TV in our living room and see new shed hunt videos from you. Always a great watch.
    Thanks Caddisguy for your kind words its lots of work miles and effort that goes into each and every time I go out on a shed hunt elk population is down big time here where I live in the EK Cranbrook BC..

Bulls are few and far between I put on an average of 10 to 15 K each time out and lots of times only find one elk shed or deer shed sometimes nothing..

I look at it this way getting out into nature a person sees lots that they would not see around town or in your home nature gives a women or man a piece of mind being in Gods land and shed hunting gets a person into good shape if they go out on a constant base..

Shed hunting is good for the whole family love seeing families together and posting up there finds on shed nuts especially the children with that big smile on there face holding the shed they found..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 05-19-2020 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks Wayne ...Good answers...Take care and good shed hunting !....

Last edited by hunter1947; 05-26-2020 at 03:25 PM.

^^^^well done Wayne, you sure are an inspiration you show that if a guy keeps in shape even into the more 'senior' years a guy can still do a lot keep up the good work..too bad that the elk pops are down in your area, hopefully the govt does something soon about the wolves..and if they reinstated the griz leh that would help also..

Last edited by hunter1947; 05-29-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Re: The Start My 20020 Sheds Hunting Year ..

Nice start to shed hunting.

....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGplv71pf5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2QTmZrMwCo

....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-Ty3dDbDrk

That's all I have for 2020 ,,shed season is over for me,,I had a good shed season 2020 was my best for matching elk sheds I found 6 matching fresh
    sets of elk sheds this year and now its time to get my trail cams out and working..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 06-03-2020 at 05:29 AM.