Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

Re: Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Awesome tips for timing guys!! And i guess road ways, Fields and Garbage Dumps are the bear “haunts” of choice but now u got ur bear home.... what are you doing with it? Burger, sausage, pepperoni, hams, all of the above? Recipies highly appreciated
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Sorry about the multiple posts, would only let me attach one video per comment. Tried doing bear chorizo for the first time this year too and that was amazing!

Bear ham:

Bone in bear ham or boneless roast
    4l water
    2 cups brown sugar
    3/4 to 1 cup kosher salt
    1tbsp Tender Quick or Curing salt per lb of meat

Make brine, if you have a marinating needle, inject brine into ham in multiple places
    Place meat in brine and weigh down with a plate
    Keep meat in brine for 7-10 days

Cook thoroughly to 160f internal temp
    Allow to cool
    Enjoy!!!

In the Interior, I find the May long weekend to be the sweetspot and the time around it. Generally, find back roads, clearings and cut blocks with lots of new vegetation growing (bears love clover btw!) and if you see lots of bear scat, you're in a good area.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Wow 45Freezer those are some awesome videos! I want to try everything now hahah!

re: Trich, anyone really care? Or do most just make sure to cook it thoroughly?? Can u usually see the wormy little guys when your gutting/removing the hide etc?

i Think ive convinced the missus to “go see some fanily in the interior” for the May long, so heres to hoping!!
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Has anyone ever sent in their bear tung to be tested by moe for trichinosis ? I’ve never bothered but am curious as to the process... how long for results and do you have to drop it off at a specific place.
    I would also like to know if any fellas on here take their bear meat in for testing for trich and if so where ?

Also I would not want to take a bear that hangs around garbage dumps .
    There was a black bear in the field opposite the Davison Farm the other day .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 02-14-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Ron C. Nice bears !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Wow 45Freezer those are some awesome videos! I want to try everything now hahah!

re: Trich, anyone really care? Or do most just make sure to cook it thoroughly?? Can u usually see the wormy little guys when your gutting/removing the hide etc?

i Think ive convinced the missus to “go see some fanily in the interior” for the May long, so heres to hoping!!
    Don't care at all, I just assume they all have it and if my son is going to be eating the meat I make sure to bring it up to 150 for at least 5 minutes...bringing it up to 150 then tenting in tinfoil is sufficient, most people rattle off the age old 160 but in my opinion that's how you ruin bear meat if you're not cooking it low and slow, look into how trich is killed and you can have a bear steak cooked sous vide style at 126 as long as the temp is maintained for the correct period of time. Trich is one of the few concerns with bears so take that with a grain of salt. I've never experienced filarial worms but they are a thing, usually concentrated between the flesh and hide from what I've heard. I've found what looked like salmon style worms in the meat before after cooking, just ate em along with the meat and never had any problems lol. Trich is certainly no laughing matter but it's most definitely not the big bad wolf people make it out to be.

"The great majority of trichinosis infections have either minor or no symptoms and no complications. The two main phases for the infection are enteral (affecting the intestines) and parenteral (outside the intestines). The symptoms vary depending on the phase, species of Trichinella, quantity of encysted larvae ingested, age, sex, and host immunity."

May long for the interior sounds about right, if the missus will let you take another trip in early may that's a good time up past whistler, I've found may long in that area is about a week or 2 too late for prime time. The rut (mid june) is fun too, huffing a big scrappy boar in so close he almost walks right into you will definitely get your heart going...I recommend having a rifle in hand for that situation instead of a bow
    Last edited by 45freezer; 02-14-2020 at 09:29 AM.

I agree I’m not overly concerned about it either but testing would allow some latitude as far as doneness goes. I like a little pink in my game bear handles over cooking just fine but why do it if I don’t have to. I’m going to investigate how and where to get tested and will post the answers I get when I get the chance to do so. I’ll actually go up to our office and talk to a biologist can never get through on the phone I think they hate talking with anyone on the phone up their lol