Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

Re: Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I agree I’m not overly concerned about it either but testing would allow some latitude as far as doneness goes. I like a little pink in my game bear handles over cooking just fine but why do it if I don’t have to. I’m going to investigate how and where to get tested and will post the answers I get when I get the chance to do so. I’ll actually go up to our office and talk to a biologist can never get through on the phone I think they hate talking with anyone on the phone up their lol
    Looking forward to what you find out !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Well I'll tell you there is one thing I would like to know prior to going out this year.

I prefer to go after the May long weekend.

But last year, bud and me went back to a spot that usually is hopping with bears the third week of May and nothing. Zip. Nada.

Ran into a guy driving up to run a grader on a logging road and he informed us that a prominent Vancouver hunting club had spent the May long weekend there with about 20 pickups and campers, about 40 guys with associated quads and had thoroughly gone over the area for the whole weekend. No wonder game was scarce.

I had rarely run into another hunter there before.

I sure would like to know where they plan to go this year.

Hmmm same as Vancouver fly fishing club decends on mass..can ewe say 40 boats on a small..small lake during prime time..move in take over..boat after boat in gauntlet like baracade along the shoals/drop off completely blocking 40 % ..every freeking year..there are thousands of lakes..nope..I went to 4 lakes for 10 days..came back still there whole club..
    grrrr
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm same as Vancouver fly fishing club decends on mass..can ewe say 40 boats on a small..small lake during prime time..move in take over..boat after boat in gauntlet like baracade along the shoals/drop off completely blocking 40 % ..every freeking year..there are thousands of lakes..nope..I went to 4 lakes for 10 days..came back still there whole club..
    grrrr
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Sounds like pass lake can walk from boat to boat lol I gave up on that

Yep, May long weekend is a zoo in allot of popular bear areas on Van Isle. I stopped bear hunting that weekend a few years back.

We have to go May long due to our kids school schedules, we usually take an extra day before and after...needless to say we shot one the day before all the people showed up and another the day after they all left..

Still saw bears but they were super skidish and there wasn't enough time to persuade them into the freezer...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    May is the ticket unless we get an early spring. April the bears are generally hanging around their winter dens yet still somewhat drowsy. Opportunity can be few and far between. May and September best bear hunting months .
    I have to agree May is definitely the best I’ve had the most luck then you see way more bears and have a lot more opportunities. September/October is also really good. If you want a rug bear I would recommend October hitting the rivers. Feel free to send me a pm if you’re on Vancouver island.

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    I have to agree May is definitely the best I’ve had the most luck then you see way more bears and have a lot more opportunities. September/October is also really good. If you want a rug bear I would recommend October hitting the rivers. Feel free to send me a pm if you’re on Vancouver island.
    I took a nice young meat boar opening day last fall head down in the blueberries snuck to 50 yards and nailed him. Very tasty
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first