Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

Re: Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

Walkswithdeer is a born and bred hunter. I wouldn’t question that. From what I’ve read bears aren’t very tasty until after they get rid of their winter butt plug. So I would wait till the last week of April to really start looking at filling the freezer. I’m still new to bear hunting but that’s my opinion. Scout earlier if you’d like but chances of sightings are slim unless your in region 2.

Awesome tips for timing guys!! And i guess road ways, Fields and Garbage Dumps are the bear “haunts” of choice but now u got ur bear home.... what are you doing with it? Burger, sausage, pepperoni, hams, all of the above? Recipies highly appreciated
    ~Wes

For me with bears I mostly burger it or do fresh sausage. You gotta cook that stuff good to kill trichinosis.

Region 5 I start to get serious around mid May. My kids love bear hunting, last year I gave my 4 year old a predator call when I spotted a distant bear and let him call the bear in from his car seat with the truck window down. Good times!
    Also like hunting them in June with the kids because of all wild raspberries and strawberries to snack on. Can’t wait until May.

Hmmm dont usually do a scouting trip..last 2 weeks of april start to see black bears here near Williams lake..if starting low elevation..grass is greening..but say Horsefly mountain..start climbing grass gets shorter..then sparse then none..and keep climbing..snow and grizzlies tracks heading down .
    over 45 years..IMO I have shot more black bears on or around Mothers day..and its still my favorite black bear time of year.find elevation changes...to find that perfect elevation that holds new grass that holds the most nutrients..
    Find 3 things..bright new grass..with nearby water.a must...and the 3rd..isolation..may only be couple hundred yards down a skidder trail away from the main forestry service road..out of view.
    bears desire require a bit of solitude..hence why they show up at dusk..comfort zone to eat in solitude and not be disrupted.cut blocks..the back skidder trail furthest away from the road holds the bears..and at last low light..the bigger bears.
    Wells...over the Cunningham forest service road still holds tons of bears. .best day 40 black bears in 8 hours..harvested a beautiful blond black bear that day...that area still holds great amounts of black bears AND grizzlies.
    However due to high elevation and tremendous snow loads..getting through to likely is often not possible till June.
    Already planned a spring black bear hunt in the Horsefly..Quesnel lake area..first week of may .
    dont scout due to enough time spent..to know why an area is holding bears already.what to look for..tells me why..and when.doesnt change much year over year..
    This year is sausage making bear year...adult boar 6 feet..
    Cheers and good luck
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Awesome tips for timing guys!! And i guess road ways, Fields and Garbage Dumps are the bear “haunts” of choice but now u got ur bear home.... what are you doing with it? Burger, sausage, pepperoni, hams, all of the above? Recipies highly appreciated
    I do roasts and grind the rest keep some for sweet and sour. Key is to thaw it slowly in the fridge slowly over 4 days to get the blood out I do this with all my game. Put in a colander on a bowl let it do its thing. Requires planning your meal four days in advance but the results are worth it. Plus I make bear cheese smokies. Pepperoni is riskier because of the temp thing

Hmmm have done the bear cheese smokies..however never ever considered your colander trick..very clever rabitt..thank you for sharing.
    cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm have done the bear cheese smokies..however never ever considered your colander trick..very clever rabitt..thank you for sharing.
    cheers
    Srupp
    Yeah it’s the only way to go. A friend turned me onto the method years ago because I always found wild game ... well gamier thawing like this took care of that problem now I enjoy all my wild game. Couldn’t believe it worked so well

in southern region 4 april is a little slow for bears, may seems to be prime time, and if your lucky to find them in early june they will be plump and healthy with a good coat. if you’re too early the coat might not be in the best condition.
    with butchering i do a few roasts and the rest into burger. always great to add to chili, tacos, pasta sauce, shepherds pie, burgers, etc.

The question was for help making a decision, not the beginning of an argument. Play nice, no further warnings!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!