Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

How early is too early?

I have a new born (well okay 2 months old but still..) so I'm not going to get out a whole lot this year, want to make as much of it as i can in the days the wifey lets me out! Mostly looking for suggestions of timing to head out, general areas to focus on, and any tips from long time bear hunters!

plus i figured why not get folks excited about it too, so feel free to post pics of ur bears from years gone by!
    ~Wes

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Black Bear, to scout or not to scout?

I’m not positive about the coastal bears but as soon as you go east of hope, don’t even waste your time until May.
    this coming from an avid bear hunter. If you want to go for a walk in April you might as well go shed hunting and bring a gun just in case lol

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I’m not positive about the coastal bears but as soon as you go east of hope, don’t even waste your time until May.
    this coming from an avid bear hunter. If you want to go for a walk in April you might as well go shed hunting and bring a gun just in case lol
    Yep, i used to get out as soon as i could, learned quickly to save the gas til may

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Season opens April 1, but up north here, I don't bother till end of April, beginning of May. Bought a quad on tracks to get back, to the back ends of the valleys, before others. Might find some moose sheds too?!!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

May is the ticket unless we get an early spring. April the bears are generally hanging around their winter dens yet still somewhat drowsy. Opportunity can be few and far between. May and September best bear hunting months .

Not necessary to scout for bears it’s more about finding feed when the time comes. But nothing wrong with going in the bush anyway. But if you’re asking if it’s necessary then I’d say no

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    True story.....as soon as they get rid of their fecal plug their metabolism changes, and the clock is ticking for them to start finding calories....you will still see them occasionally in April but far more likely in May...

Lol, people scout for b bears? We're tripping over good sized ones here in the spring.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Hunting mid-late april on coastal estuaries can be very productive for big boars. Less bears out but if you are after quality, not quantity then fill your boots. Can be touchy with weather however, their metabolism seems to be tied to the thermometer.

Really depends on the area. If you are new to bear hunting and limited on time, wait until the second week of May when you know the bears are out. But no harm in taking a drive in April and looking. In my area, local bears can be seen in farm fields in April long before you'll ever cut a track up in the hills.
    you've got my blood pumping. Still moping because duck season is over. Here's a few pics from past years

Last edited by Ron.C; 02-04-2020 at 07:13 PM.