Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend Hunting Boots

Re: Recommend Hunting Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    I just checked out those boots (Hanwag trapper tops), they look really tough. How are they for insulation?
    With quality socks my feet stay warm. In extreme cold snaps they can definitely get a bit cold though. Nothing that has made me think about anything different though, when my current boots wear out I will buy another pair.

I have 2 pairs of hanwags the Yukon’s and trapper tops. Last year on backpack sheep hunting trip having the high ankle support worked out really well. The Yukon’s are leather lined they took a long time to break in they are like wearing my hockey skates. I like both boots but for heavy loads and wet conditions the taller boot like the trapper top workers great

on the trip last year there was 3 of us all with higher boots Mendles, kenetrack and hanwag. My brother had the kenetrack which were the most expensive of the bunch I think his were around $600 they leaked and he had wet feet for 8 days was very unhappy. They did send him a new pair but still had sore feet for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by knothead View Post
    I've been using Meindels and love them but all boots fit slightly different so look for a high end boot that fits your feet best. Meindels are not sold by any reputable dealer in the lower mainland now so I had to get mine from a place in Kelowna.
    I'v never been there, but Alpine Start Outfitters sell Meindl boots in the lower mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I'v never been there, but Alpine Start Outfitters sell Meindl boots in the lower mainland.
    Thanks for the info ACB good to know, the guy that used to be the dealer here was a crook.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Have a look at Schnees, I was very surprised when I tried them on how comfortable they are.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

I wear Meindl Canada pros for hunting and consider them the best hunting boot money can buy, me. I wear Zamberland vios for hiking and walking the dogs. I have recommended both these boots to many people, it just depends on the budget. I suggest buying the best boot you can afford.
    R.I.P BiG Boar

I've been thinking of starting a similar thread, with a focus on sheep/goat hunting. I have a pair of Zamberlan Tofanes that I have worn and loved for 5 seasons now but I'm not sure they will be my go-to mountain boot. Years ago when I did some mountaineering the boots were "full last" which were incredibly stiff soles that made crampons much more useful. As I recall, they were also pretty good for side-hilling and traversing shale slopes.

Are people wearing full on mountaineering boots, or a half last, high top boot for ankle support? Ourea's comments on his Crispi boots in a different thread has me thinking I'll give them a try but I'm not sure if they are full last or not.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I wear Hanwag Alaska GTX (wide) for hunting and I have a pair of hanwag horndl for around town. My wife wears the Hanwag womens Tatra gtx. Could maybe have a stiffer boot for the mountains but I like them a lot. No break in, comfy and watertight

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I've been thinking of starting a similar thread, with a focus on sheep/goat hunting. I have a pair of Zamberlan Tofanes that I have worn and loved for 5 seasons now but I'm not sure they will be my go-to mountain boot. Years ago when I did some mountaineering the boots were "full last" which were incredibly stiff soles that made crampons much more useful. As I recall, they were also pretty good for side-hilling and traversing shale slopes.

Are people wearing full on mountaineering boots, or a half last, high top boot for ankle support? Ourea's comments on his Crispi boots in a different thread has me thinking I'll give them a try but I'm not sure if they are full last or not.
    I've got a mountain goat hunt coming up in a few weeks. All 3 of us(aswell as other I know who have done similar style hunts) are wearing mountaineering boots. Stiff soles and the ability to run a good set of crampons is pretty important with the conditions.

I'll have a set of Scarpa Mont Blanc Pros, the scarpa Phantom series are supposed to be pretty good to. La Sportiva also has some great options, depending what fits your foot.

Personal opinion, I probably wont run those boots for anything other than these style of hunts. My sheep boot is currently a meindl, but will be switching to Schnees this year.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

^^ exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks.

Good luck on your goat hunt. The mountains are a serious place at the best of times... be careful.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?