Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend Hunting Boots

Recommend Hunting Boots

In light of the great discussion for my "Recommend a Hunting Backpack" thread which probably should be stickied for newbies, I was also wondering what you guys are wearing in the field and bush in terms of boots. I've just worn an old pair of waterproof, leather, and steel-toe Hi-Tec hiking boots for the last 8 hunting seasons, with countless more years of regular hiking before I started hunting. They're starting to wear down now, and I'm in the market for something waterproof and lighter with good ankle support.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Recommend Hunting Boots

Zamberlan tofane or vioz if you’re on more of a budget.
    never look back. True hand crafted leather boots made in Italy. Welsh stitched replaceable sole and more waterproof than you ever need.

forget the scarpas and all these other boots, they wish they lived up to the Zamberlan boots

Your best bet is to stay with the top lines and go try them on and see how they fit your feet. They all fit alittle different. I ended up with Hanwags and they have been decent after 4 semi hard seasons.

kennetrek, lowa, scarpa, zamberlan, hanwag, la sportiva, salewa and so on, pick your poison lol. alot of top tier mountain boot brands. full leather, synthetics, backpacking/trekking/ mountaineering. Finding great boots is a never ending battle, same brands might cater to your feet better than others.
    have fun and good luck :P

Since I bought my Hanwags (6 seasons back), they have been my go to boots for most all of my hunting from spring bear, early season deer, kootenay elk and deer, grouse, to shed hunting, and even hikes with the dog.

The only time they don't get worn is on cold days I plan on sitting on stand or if I'm day hunting in really boggy areas.

I don't mind putting the wear and tear on them outside of the backpack hunts I bought them for. A $400-$500 investment is a low price if I get 6-10 years of use with happy dry feet. I spend more on Tim's coffee in a year then average spending on my boots.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Meindels are a great choice just keep the sport wax on them and wash the mud off because leather doesn’t like that. Recently I’ve gone back to a stiff ankled rubber boot one pair with no liners for early in the season the others are lined for cold weather hunts. After last season I think I’ll stick with the program no maintenance required and they hold up better against sharp rocks over leather boots. Unlike a pack I’m willing to spend $$ for my feet .

Some good advice already; just try different brands to see what fits best. I’ve been using Kenetreks for many years as they fit me like a glove and have lasted in wet conditions to shale slopes.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I've been using Meindels and love them but all boots fit slightly different so look for a high end boot that fits your feet best. Meindels are not sold by any reputable dealer in the lower mainland now so I had to get mine from a place in Kelowna.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Everyone’s feet are different-my personal preference are Hanwag trapper tops. Very comfortable and have survived a good bit of abuse. Don’t cheap out on your feet.

I just checked out those boots (Hanwag trapper tops), they look really tough. How are they for insulation?