Thread: Need advice for Ptarmigan Mountain in Tumbler Ridge area.

Need advice for Ptarmigan Mountain in Tumbler Ridge area.

I’m a photographer looking to spend some time on Ptarmigan Mountain (near Tumbler Ridge) in late summer or fall.

I’m looking for tips and advice from anyone who’s been there before. There seems to be next to no info online.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need advice for Ptarmigan Mountain in Tumbler Ridge area.

Do you mean Ptarmigan Ridge?
    http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/resou.../holzworth.pdf

Fair jag of Griz in that general area in the fall in most alpine areas. Not a big deal if generally bush savvy and are prepared and take typical precautions. Recommend packing a firearm for any back country hiking and alpine areas around there.

No, sorry. It’s kind of a pain that there are so many peaks and ridges called Ptarmigan. I’m looking at one a bit closer to Kakwa. Here’s the coordinates: 54.396422, -120.132048

Why ptarmigan mnt?? There are lots of way easier alpine in that area to get into?

I'm looking to take a specific photo of Mt Ida, and Ptarmigan Mountain gives me the best shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ida.jpg 
Views:	789 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	7773  

The Ojay main Resource road will get you close. I drive this road a couple times a week for work. Id suggest making sure you have a 4x4 vehicle that you trust equipped with a road radio, good spare tire, a jerry can or two of gasoline, a way to call for help back there such as a Spot or InReach / Satellite phone, your preferred method of self protection from animals. There are more grizz in the area than black bear.

You'll travel the Ojay main (Connector from 29.5km to where it meets the main at 43km) 70KM back into the mountains. The road will split to the left heading north, and you'll continue straight through to the south on what I believe is the 7100 road or Narraway? (I will be in the area again next week and will clarify this road name) for another 18km where you'll get the opportunity to get closer to Mt Ptarmigan via lease roads. From there start hiking uphill!

As far as I know there are no marked trail routes to hike this mountain, you're in for an adventure! Would love to see the picture!

Should probably start a new thread for this, but fun fact. There is a mountain goat leh up in there. The zone spreads west into secus mountain as well and I pulled a draw on it. Anyone seen much goat that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Muskox View Post
    I’m a photographer looking to spend some time on Ptarmigan Mountain (near Tumbler Ridge) in late summer or fall.

I’m looking for tips and advice from anyone who’s been there before. There seems to be next to no info online.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sent you a pm..