Thread: Strength training for archery

Strength training for archery

I was wondering what sort of training people do for archery. I am trying to improve my strength so I can be able to hold my bow at full draw for longer periods of time I.e. 30 seconds. I’m 64 years of age and want to be able to hold my bow at full draw to prevent arm fatigue, shakiness, and wobble. I pull 60 lbs and bow is set at lowest poundage. Not interested in a new bow. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Strength training for archery

Shoot you bow more, practice practice practice

Yes, shooting the bow will build the right muscles. Just don't over-do it....shoulder problems can result, as well as target panic if you shoot when you are really tired.

Basic overall fitness,push ups pull ups shoulder presses etc. A core fitness routine is all you really need.

Chin ups, shoulder press, rows, lat pull down, tricep curls.

Really though, overall fitness, and core strength will allow you to be a better, steadier shot.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Holding the draw for 30 seconds? Can't imagine holding for that long. I find my best shots are when I release quickley, probably 3 seconds or less. If I don't feel good about my view of the target by that time, I'm better off starting over with a fresh draw. That's with a traditional recurve shooting instinctive, no sight. I get the feeling you're shooting a compound & I have no experience there.

Id say shoot shoot shoot. But be careful not to over do it. Lots of sessions flinging a few arrows is better than allot of arrows in a few sessions.

I found myself in a similar situation.

I had gotten away from archery for several years when I won my leh rosie elk draw. When I got drawn, I started shooting the day the results were posted and found myself "weak" and unable to hold at draw like I was in past years. " I underestimated my physical ability and condition and should have started much earlier" I still had muscle memory but lacked the physical strength to shoot like I once did. So I started by shooting 3 sessions a day (about 20 arrows per) to re-condition myself. And Id end each session by shooting 3 arrows " blind bale" by holding at full draw for a count of 20 and focusing on a smooth release. I didnt care where the arrows went, i just wanted a controlled release. After a few weeks, I increased to 30 seconds, a few weeks later I increased to 60 seconds.

By end August, I was now shooting about 40 arrows per session and my last 3 arrows of each session holding for 60 seconds and taking aimed 20 yard shots. Was pleasantly surprised to see I was shooting respectable groups. I continued and by end Sept I was shooting my last 3 shots of each session holding for a 60 count at ranges from 20 to 50 yards.

By mid Oct when my draw opened, I was pretty well back to my old form and able to hold my bow at draw and shoot accurately. Was a good thing to as my bull turned as soon as I drew forcing me to maintain at draw for about 30 seconds before he turned back and presented a shot.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-07-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Shoot lots, (mostly) archery works muscles that are otherwise not pushed. There are fitness trainers that developed some archery muscle training that I've seen on forums, youtube and whatever but I have not done it myself. That and the specific shot trainers you can get but they're boring to use.....even for a geek like me.
    You can do (blind)bail stuff too, it's useful for conditioning as well your shot sequence stuff.......again, not exciting but you can learn to do some zen time with it.

I'm a competitive recurve shooter and train a lot and train hard particularly during 3D season with just maintenance and as and when winter opportunities and I always feel my conditioning lacking early on in shooting season.

Aside from shooting ALOT, I did single arm dumbbell rolls. I worked from 50# up to 80#. I also took a 10# to 15# weight and extended my arm for a period of time to get used to holding more weight in my bow arm (increasing stabilizer weights). I noticed less fatigue as I kept moving up in weight. I am sure there are alot of other ways to do it, but that worked for me.