Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Counts

Re: Sheep Counts

Hmm mm mm
    srupp

I stand for Srupp ! Takes a second to realize the guy he is if you get off your high horse. I’m a new member , studied the forum and payed attention to who would respond with the most knowledge. Reached out to Steven and he welcomed me with open arms so to speak. Now I am excited to meet up with him every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    So I take it there is a sheep count in Spences Bridge does that include other areas in the Fraser Canyon ? Never been to one ! Do bring your own spotting scope ? What would be the minimum scope to bring ? Is this a one day thing ? Do guys bring their better half ? Sorry for all the questions !
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    this venue is a wonderful idea for many reasons...accurate precise sheep count assists biologists...
    However it helps new /newer sheep hunters...first hand actually team up with other sheep hunters to see sheep on the mountains.
    Learn how to glass..starting off once a sheep is spotted for newer hunters finding that sheep.that helps your history of where sheep are..that helps you decide why they are there..bedded..so that's what one bedding area looks like for bighorn. .feeding areas ..travel routes why..?
    Learning how to glass correctly..across. .up down..how to use binos. Then tear every square inch of your field of view with spotting scope.
    As i said earlier..a chance to try different quality levels of glass..not others opinion. .you will get a chance to see the difference.
    Guys who spend thousands on gear..lots of time for years WILL share tips they have learned over the years..helps new sheep hunters with the learning curve.
    an important skill is shared many times that day..once one spotter has found a sheep..how to direct his hunting partner to the same sheep..having 2 sets of peepers on a ram helps with the identification, age.legality of any given ram....every encounter spotting helps you get better..a historic reference of sheep in your mind.
    Helping you evaluate where to start looking..and why...
    However a warning..sheep hunting is addictive..some say a sickness..lol and for many reasons sheep hunters are for the most part a secretive bunch..often more inclined to loan out their wives and their Visa Cards no questions asked..lol rather than share sheep locations..knowledge
    however at the sheep count information gained through countless decades is freely shared..
    New friendships with other like minded individuals are made..
    All to help evaluate the number..class of rams..ewes and lambs...
    and in the process help you...winners all the way around..
    srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 03-13-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Wholly agree Steven! I learned a lot from attending those counts. I also learned that cost isn't necessarily
    critical in having good lens. I really enjoyed the comradery with everyone all those times I attended.
    My health has prevented me lately, but you never know, I might be able to attend again.

Pg83 I will be looking for your thread as I hope to make it for the count .What Forum will you place it in? I know don’t know anything about wild sheep or hunting them ,but would like to contribute . I did however buy a spotting scope a few months back and would like to see how it performs . Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    I will post an official thread on here after the wssbc Kamloops Convention is done, but April 4th is the date.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Pg83 I will be looking for your thread as I hope to make it for the count .What Forum will you place it in? I know don’t know anything about wild sheep or hunting them ,but would like to contribute . I did however buy a spotting scope a few months back and would like to see how it performs . Arctic Lake
    Hmm what do you call a new sheep hunter?....
    Sherpa. .lol..kidding

Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    this venue is a wonderful idea for many reasons...accurate precise sheep count assists biologists...
    However it helps new /newer sheep hunters...first hand actually team up with other sheep hunters to see sheep on the mountains.
    Learn how to glass..starting off once a sheep is spotted for newer hunters finding that sheep.that helps your history of where sheep are..that helps you decide why they are there..bedded..so that's what one bedding area looks like for bighorn. .feeding areas ..travel routes why..?
    Learning how to glass correctly..across. .up down..how to use binos. Then tear every square inch of your field of view with spotting scope.
    As i said earlier..a chance to try different quality levels of glass..not others opinion. .you will get a chance to see the difference.
    Guys who spend thousands on gear..lots of time for years WILL share tips they have learned over the years..helps new sheep hunters with the learning curve.
    an important skill is shared many times that day..once one spotter has found a sheep..how to direct his hunting partner to the same sheep..having 2 sets of peepers on a ram helps with the identification, age.legality of any given ram....every encounter spotting helps you get better..a historic reference of sheep in your mind.
    Helping you evaluate where to start looking..and why...
    However a warning..sheep hunting is addictive..some say a sickness..lol and for many reasons sheep hunters are for the most part a secretive bunch..often more inclined to loan out their wives and their Visa Cards no questions asked..lol rather than share sheep locations..knowledge
    however at the sheep count information gained through countless decades is freely shared..
    New friendships with other like minded individuals are made..
    All to help evaluate the number..class of rams..ewes and lambs...
    and in the process help you...winners all the way around..
    srupp
    I have to admit that that right there is a large part of the reason I was planning to attend. It was all about learning. Learning what matters to the sheep, food, habitat, etc. Help the biologists make fact based decisions. Meet and talk to other sheep hunters, get some time spotting the critters.

Thanks for posting that Srupp.

But unfortunately it looks like I may be moving to Alberta on very short notice due to Covid19. But if I can time a drive through on my way, I'll stop in!

Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post
    I have to admit that that right there is a large part of the reason I was planning to attend. It was all about learning. Learning what matters to the sheep, food, habitat, etc. Help the biologists make fact based decisions. Meet and talk to other sheep hunters, get some time spotting the critters.

But unfortunately it looks like I may be moving to Alberta on very short notice due to Covid19. But if I can time a drive through on my way, I'll stop in!
    I think your over thinking this covid virus situation. .you just have to avoid crowds not move to the wide open badlands..lol
    Alberta is wonderful great people...truly enjoy it..however we just visit..
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post

Your moving to Alberta due to the corona virus ? I don’t get it ? Please explain
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Your moving to Alberta due to the corona virus ? I don’t get it ? Please explain
    Arctic Lake

Excessive paranoia???

Kidding. My wife is an ER Doc there and normally flies in for shift work. But as they ramp up to deal with CV19, she may no longer be allowed to fly and may have to be on call for the balance of the month. So with two infants on-hand, we'll all be moving as I can't ask her to be away from the kids for several months. Plus there is a strong possibility that many of the frontline workers in the hospital, will be at minimum put on Quarantine

Hoping that isn't the case, but we'll do what we have to do.