Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My biggest buck yet!

Re: My biggest buck yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Grasp View Post
    Thanks guys! I highly recommend this hunt. It's a $300 OTC tag and there's tons of public land so if you don't want to pay for an outfitter it's still a very doable hunt. And who doesn't want to get out of BC for a week in January!
    How busy is it with everyone able to just buy regular tags and hunt unguided? Sure, it's a far drive, but if it opens it up for every Canadian when our season is done and American hunter around its gotta be a gong show?

I dont expect more than a handful of canadians make the drive, but I know Americans from surrounding states do for sure.

Nice buck!!!

Congratulations Grasp, great inspiring hunt !

Arizona is a very big place! Also I should clear up the tag is 300 USD and you also need a hunting license which is 160 USD and the season is archery only. I’ve been there for two years and I’ve seen the odd hunter here and there but I’ve never had to change my plans or been affected by other hunter pressure in any way.

Thanks guys! I highly recommend this hunt. It's a $300 OTC tag and there's tons of public land so if you don't want to pay for an outfitter it's still a very doable hunt. And who doesn't want to get out of BC for a week in January!
    OTC tags are available to Non-US Citizens????

Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post
    OTC tags are available to Non-US Citizens????

Yes, that’s precisely what he’s said numerous times in this thread.

Not sure if most Canadians realize but the only state you can’t DIY hunt is Alaska. In the last 6 years I have drawn 0 LEH tags in BC. And that’s not for lack of trying. I apply for every species every year. During that same time I have drawn tags in Wyoming, Montana, and New Mexico and done OTC hunts in Arizona, Texas and Maui. And I already bought my OTC elk tag for Idaho this year. If you don’t mind driving there are phenomenal hunting opportunities south of the border.

Not sure if most Canadians realize but the only state you can’t DIY hunt is Alaska. In the last 6 years I have drawn 0 LEH tags in BC. And that’s not for lack of trying. I apply for every species every year. During that same time I have drawn tags in Wyoming, Montana, and New Mexico and done OTC hunts in Arizona, Texas and Maui. And I already bought my OTC elk tag for Idaho this year. If you don’t mind driving there are phenomenal hunting opportunities south of the border.
    Well, its not just driving. It's a lot of time off that you need to have. I cant take 3-4 weeks for hunting and have any family time off. Lots of others are in the same boat. Not to mention time you need to learn a new area.

But no, I did not know they allow canadians to just come down and hunt.

But good for you, for pursuing hunting opportunities of interest instead of just waiting for an LEH here!

Who is helping you with getting started hunting a new area?
    Also, what are the rifle hunting opportunities like? I would drive to Idaho for an elk rifle hunt! But, from what I've heard Idaho is a very crowded hunting place.

Edit: I'm not saying this in a way to imply hunting in Idaho is better than BC. Just that country down there seems awesome place to hunt them in. I firmly believe elk hunting is better in BC. The better zones down south are not gonna be that easy for a foreigner to hunt
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 02-02-2020 at 10:02 PM.

That's a totally fair point. I'm fortunate that I can set aside time to pursue my passion. That being said you don't need 3-4 weeks for a hunting trip. I don't have anyone help me sort out new areas. And to be clear this particular hunt in AZ was outfitted so they picked the spots. It's a pretty affordable hunt too considering you don;t have to worry about anything. I spend a lot of time on google earth and ONX maps before I head down. The site gohunt.com also helps a bit. Part of the reason I do these trips is the adventure. I'd rather go to a new area I've never been before and maybe not get anything than go back to the same spot every year and tag out. Don't get me wrong there are amazing opportunities for adventure here at home in BC. I was a forestry engineer for 15 years in BC and I have been lucky enough to work across a lof of BC so now that I have the freedom I like to go explore other places. I have never rifle hunted ID so can't comment directly but you are right that there are definitely areas where there is more pressure. I primarily hunt the backcountry so my strategy is always to pick the steepest, gnarliest shit and just out hike everyone. SO far it's paid off. Another note is that except for Utah there are no rifle opportunities for elk in the rut. Basically all of sept. is archery only in most states.

I should also add I'm happy to help in any way I can, if anyone is looking to hunt south of the border I'd hop on a call any time to share what I've learned about tags and applications etc.
    Last edited by Grasp; 02-04-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Yes, that’s precisely what he’s said numerous times in this thread.
    Really? Can you highlight where he says that, for me?

Pretty please.

Awesome, thanks for that info. Its definitely something I'll have to look into. There are a few spots down South I've been interested in hunting. Just didnt want to go guided. And obviously made the wrong assumption it was like BC & AB resident requirements.